Windows 10: Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks

Discus and support Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Sorry, long preamble to what I hope is a fairly simple question. I am in process of rationalising a very messy set of directories on a fairly new HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Windymiller, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks

Sorry, long preamble to what I hope is a fairly simple question.

I am in process of rationalising a very messy set of directories on a fairly new HP Laptop running on Windows 10. I took this over when my own desktop crashed a couple of months after my husband died so I am stuck with a lot of files belonging to him over quite a long period.He previously had an Acer Laptop which he replaced because it was less than satisfactory. One of my problems is not knowing what I can safely delete without repercussions later. Coping with resultant administration and using a new system with very confused records, has resulted in a lot of duplicate files spread all over the laptop. It did not occur to me for some time to create a User Administrator Account in my own name and reduce his User Account to a Standard but since doing that I am able to use the laptop a lot more successfully. However:

ACTUAL QUESTION
    I have an old folder entitled OLD Laptop Files which contains a folder called WindowsImageBackup. I am wondering if it is worth keeping in case we can use it to revitalize the old Acer one and pass it on to someone else. But it requires 30 GB of space. I am still in process of getting rid of the duplications etc. so space is getting a bit tight. I have managed to copy the folder to a TOSHIBA Hard Drive with a lot of space on it and my question is, is it worth keeping this folder or should I just delete it ? I vaguely understand from what I have read on the web that ideally it should live on the root drive (Drive C ?) of the ACER laptop. Is that the only way it could be used ? I would prefer to keep the old ACER laptop if it is possible in case the hp gives up on me though it shouldnt as it is only about 1 year old.

Would be grateful for your suggestions even if you have to confirm it is useless.

:)

Windymiller, Aug 28, 2019

2. Win 10 WindowsImageBackup sub folder seems to have the incorrect time

Win 10 Home

Version 1703 with all available updates applied.

Control Panel \ Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

I have always thought the following represents the WindowsImageBackup folder structure.

WindowsImageBackup folder Structure (starting from root of drive)

• WindowsImageBackup
      • [Computer name]
        • Backup [date and time of backup]
          • A bunch of XML files
          • A bunch of .vhdx files
        • Catalog
          • BackupGlobalCatalog
          • GlobalCatalog
        • Logs
          • At least one .log file
        • SPPMetadataCache
          • At least one file with random letter/number combinations, separated by dashes, surrounded by {}’s
        • MediaId file
    In my case first sub folder (above) is not indicating any time that makes sense to me.

It DOES contain the correct date.

But not the time.

I created a new WindowsImageBackup folder structure earlier today at 3:00 pm Central.

But my folder ended up named "Backup 2017-08-21 195346"

Anyone know what the "195346" means ?

BTW, the date, time and zone are set correctly.

I'm so confused.

JustRayInWisconsin, Aug 28, 2019
  3. Evanya84 Win User
    Need to transfer Windows 10 to a new computer

Ok, one last question, then: do I risk losing my OS on my old machine if the transfer doesn't work? By following the steps you suggested? Because I'll certainly try it if there's no risk.

And just to clarify, here: your long-winded answer to my original question is basically "maybe." Yea?

I appreciate your help.

Evanya84, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks

1. Transfer of old WindowsImageBackup Folder risks - Similar Threads - Transfer old WindowsImageBackup

2. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  3. WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsImageBackup: I made a WindowsImageBackup of a new computer on a 128GB memory stick. I wanted to be sure that it was ok, so I tried to look into the files. I kept getting messages about files being corrupted. So, in a Command Prompt, I went into the relevant folder and there were two...
  4. WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsImageBackup: I made a WindowsImageBackup of a new computer on a 128GB memory stick. I wanted to be sure that it was ok, so I tried to look into the files. I kept getting messages about files being corrupted. So, in a Command Prompt, I went into the relevant folder and there were two...
  5. WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WindowsImageBackup: Sirs, Attached is the response to me trying to look at 'WindowsImageBackup' files on my external hard drive. Attached also 'Disc Management' screenshot. Any guidance would be appreciated please.[ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. Risks Of Changing Folder Structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Risks Of Changing Folder Structure: I am running Win 10 Pro 1903 build 18362.1082. I have a 2Tb internal with 1Tb partition for my personal folder structure. I also have a 4Tb external with 2 partitions for archiving finished folders. I would like to organize my personal folder structure so they are no more...
  7. Win10 WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 WindowsImageBackup: Hi. I was just wondering, if i already done my Win10 system backup to external hard drive, can i now copy it to DVD disc? Do i have to create an ISO file of WindowsImageBackup folder somehow and then copy it to DVD or DVD's or make a new backup straight to DVD's The reason i...
  8. transfer old laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer old laptop: I want to transfer an old laptop windows 7 to new laptop windows 10. Apparently there used to be a windows program that worked seamlessly, but is no longer included in Windows 10....
  9. WindowsImageBackup not detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WindowsImageBackup not detected: Hi, I have 2 WindowsImageBackup on my PC. One is stored on my "D" Drive and dated 2020/04/15. The second one is stored on my "E" drive dated 2020/03/31. Note that my "D" and "E" drives are to separate physical HDs. When I try to restore my Image Backup using: Settings...
  10. Risk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Risk: I just bought risk from the microsoft store on my pc and now it wont let me install it on my device. Is there anything i can change to make it install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/risk/31de6d96-8c96-4dfe-abff-b30f6ea70d14