Windows 10: Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

Discus and support Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sickysickybrah, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as 2 separate drives. I formatted one drive and when I made a new volume it shows that it has double the capacity (16TB) than it actually has. I have tried deleting the volume and fixing with CHKDSK but it still shows up as a 16tb drive. How can I revert the drive back to what it really is, an 8tb drive?

It was years ago that I put the drives into raid 1 and do not remember how I did it. I had an ASUS Sabertooth motherboard, so it might have been software that came with that.

:)

sickysickybrah, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Neemobeer Win User

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

If it's a software RAID then there shouldn't be any issues simply moving the drives over, even if it were a hardware RAID, a mirror RAID is pretty forgiving and shouldn't break. You can break the mirror as suggested by play2mefish it won't harm anything since the drives are identical data.

Neemobeer, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Bazsl1 Win User
    Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

RAID 1 C Drive and windows 10 Upgrade

My C Drive is setup as a RAID 1 mirrored drive. Will I have problems with the windows 10 upgrade?

UncleFridayThompson, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

1. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC - Similar Threads - Transfer Raid mirrored

2. Mirroring Volume Error - No extents were found for the plex?? RAID 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirroring Volume Error - No extents were found for the plex?? RAID 1: I am lost on this error. There doesn't seem to be any good answers so far in my search. I'm hoping there's a mirroring whiz on here!Situation:Have 512GB SSD with 2 partitions Disk 0 running Windows 10 Pro1: System Reserve partition at 100MB2: OS C: partition at 475GBx: Extra...
  3. Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add new SSD drive to RAID-1 machine?: My PC runs Windows 10 Home 20H2 off a RAID-1 HD (configuration: BIOS-> SATA->RAID). I would like to add a new, separate SSD drive to this system. Can this be done without interfering with the existing RAID-1? 178225
  4. Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1

Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1: Setup: Windows 10 Pro updated to 20H2 1x 600GB HDD with OS Win 10 Pro, updated to 20H2 - all fine 2x 4TB HDD in RAID 1 two-way mirror using Windows Storage Space -ERROR All worked fine for 8 months, but while moving system to a new case, all of a sudden mytwo-way mirror...
  5. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  6. RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1

RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1: I am having the following problem in trying to set up a Mirrored RAID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d4481ae?page=2 Seems to be a 20H1 issue sure hope they fix it 155456
  7. RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions: I built my first PC and successfully set up RAID 1. I copied a file to it and then in turn unplugged each hard drive to confirm it was written to both. Then copied over 1TB worth of my files. I decided to reinstall Windows 10 Home on my NVME hard drive that is not part of...
  8. Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.

Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.: I deleted an old Intel WINDOWSXP raid 1 mirror and the system would not boot. I tried fixboot “access denied” . All hard drives removed. I used the procedure to use fixboot but the problem was not the same as indicated. My boot is volume 1 but as’”E”. Volume 3 is” C” which...
  9. Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !: I can't Add Mirror to Disk 1 (from Disk 2)! [img] Windows 10 popup the following message. [img] What should I do . I don't want to buy a new HDD. My OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 x64 Thanks in advance 83276
  10. Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC: I have 2 drives that were using windows mirroring (Under Disk Management) in my old PC. I've moved them to my new PC, but made a mistake. I'm only running Windows 10 Home instead of Pro. So when I imported foreign disks they came in as 2 separate disks instead of 1....