Windows 10: transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie

Discus and support transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i've searched here and found bits and pieces of what i'm trying to do but not sure if i've got it right. I have a five year old Dell Inspiron laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bdogg, Mar 16, 2021.

1. bdogg Win User

transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie

i've searched here and found bits and pieces of what i'm trying to do but not sure if i've got it right.
    I have a five year old Dell Inspiron laptop whose casing is breaking. it boots from a crucial ssd running windows 10 home most recent version as of today. i would replace it with a dell xps 15 that boots from a pcie of the same size. there is so much on the current ssd that i want the same that i would like to just transfer everything to the new pcie.

i have cloned from one ssd to a larger one going into the same laptop, and i have at some time in the past taken an ssd from one laptop and, after booting and bringing a new laptop up to date and registered windows, put the old ssd into the new laptop with some but not too much trouble.

can i do the same with the pcie? does the ssd have to be cloned to the pcie on the old machine via pcie to usb connection to transfer it, or can i use the ssd as a usb drive on the new machine with pcie as boot and clone/image that way? What else should i be aware of?

thanks.

:)

bdogg, Mar 16, 2021

2. Transferring SSD with Win 10 from old to new computer

Hi -

I am getting ready to build a new computer, and I want to transfer the SSD from the old computer to the new one and hopefully avoid having to re-install Windows and applications. I have in the past always used OEM versions of Windows when I built systems,
    including the one I am currently using. This time around I bought a retail copy of Windows. If I understand the differences correctly, I can in the future transfer a retail copy to a new computer without purchasing Windows again (with the understanding that
    of course it will not be usable on the old machine). Have I got that correct? Also, what is the best way to transfer the SSD? Should I update the product key while the SSD is still in the old computer, or should I install it in the new computer first and
    then update the product key?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

MarkDJonson, Mar 16, 2021
  3. Transferring SSD with Win 10 from old to new computer

Hello Andre,

I am doing a very similar task, building a new computer and wishing to transfer the current SSD with WIN10 Pro from the old computer to the new build. I purchased a retail version of WIN7 Pro in 2012, and upgraded when WIN10 was available free to upgrade.
    Am I able to follow the same procedure and your advice to MarkDJohnson? The product key will be for the same edition.

Can you also advise how to find the product key on the computer (which I need before transferring the SSD).

Thanks,

Paul_L

Paul_Lawrence, Mar 16, 2021
  4. transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie

Old SSD to new computer

I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer.
    When I hook up the old SSD windows will not start and goes to blue screen with options to recover, use different version of windows, etc. As soon as I disconnect it, windows boots right up again. How do I format the old one to get windows off of it to use
    it as storage?

SOTF KrameR, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie

1. transfer old ssd info to new computer with pcie - Similar Threads - transfer old ssd

2. Transferring old emails to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring old emails to new computer: I have an old computer running W7. On that computer I used Windows Live Mail 2011 which would download to my computer. It did not keep a copy on the server. It does not have Outlook on it. I have tried installing Outlook on it but it keeps on ending the program and will not...
  3. Transferring old emails to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring old emails to new computer: I have an old computer running W7. On that computer I used Windows Live Mail 2011 which would download to my computer. It did not keep a copy on the server. It does not have Outlook on it. I have tried installing Outlook on it but it keeps on ending the program and will not...
  4. Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD: Is there a Microsoft application that allows us to transfer Windows 11 Pro from SSD to PCIe SSD without losing the license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-11-pro-os-from-ssd-to-pcie-ssd/dff53628-c976-47ae-a83e-b1415fd99088
  5. transfer data from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer data from old computer to new computer: How do I transfer my data from my usb to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-old-computer-to-new-computer/3f750332-54ba-4c01-a19b-dc8104de7a6c
  6. Old SSD to new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old SSD to new computer: I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer. When I hook up the...
  7. Transferring old computer info to new computer from the cloud

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring old computer info to new computer from the cloud: I have saved my info on apple Icoud, form my old computer that wont work anymore. I do i retrieve all this info to my new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-old-computer-info-to-new-computer/b1147360-7054-4d3a-b0c7-665fd8bc8f1c
  8. Transfering from old computer to new.

Transfering from old computer to new.: We are trying to transfer all the address book/contacts from an older computer with Outlook to a new one. The new Outlook won't transfer the addresses or phone numbers just the names. How can we get around that? We are using an external drive to make transfers....
  9. getting into old info stored by Clickfree in new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    getting into old info stored by Clickfree in new computer: I was able to store all my data from my old computer before it died in a clickfree devise. I downloaded it all into my new computer. Now how do I access it?...
  10. new m.2 pcie ssd

new m.2 pcie ssd: I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive? 54011