Windows 10: Transfer Product Key

Discus and support Transfer Product Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. My laptop is already 6 years old. I would like to change the HDD to SSD. I buy this laptop with original windows 8 already installed and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MuhammadZulfirdaus, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Transfer Product Key

Hi. My laptop is already 6 years old. I would like to change the HDD to SSD. I buy this laptop with original windows 8 already installed and then upgrade it to windows 10 during free windows 10 upgrade (not remember which year).

Can I uninstall the product key on HDD and then install back the key on the new SSD?

:)

MuhammadZulfirdaus, Oct 20, 2019

2. Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Product Key Transfer Question

Hi Botanical,

Here is a step by step guide to transferring a license, if yours is eligible for transfer.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

I don't want to lose anything in translation, so I figured giving you this link would be the best bet. GroovyPost is legit and can be trusted.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Let me know if this helps!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Oct 20, 2019
  4. xlook Win User

Transfer Product Key

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

xlook, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Transfer Product Key

1. Transfer Product Key - Similar Threads - Transfer Product Key

2. Transfer Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows Product Key: I had 3 computers 2 desktops and one laptop that ran Windows 7 Home. I bought 3 keys to upgrade them to Windows 8 Pro, then Window 10 was released and I upgraded them to Windows 10 Pro during the free upgrade period. I have since replaced 2of them a laptop with Windows 10...
  3. Regarding Transfer of Upgrade Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Regarding Transfer of Upgrade Product Key: Backstory: I purchased a laptop that came with an OEM version of Windows 10 Home I purchased a retail Windows 10 Pro product key and upgraded the laptop. Question: I have purchased a new laptop with an OEM version of Windows 10 home installed I would like to transfer...
  4. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  5. Help transferring Windows 10 Product Key

Help transferring Windows 10 Product Key: Hello, I recently upgraded my computer, replacing almost everything (hard drive, MOBO, cpu, etc). My understanding was that I could use the same windows 10 USB and product key to transfer Windows 10 to the new hardware. Upon further research, it looks like I should have...
  6. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...
  7. Product Key Transfer

Product Key Transfer: I have a windows 10 pro product key on another laptop. This key was originally an 8 pro key which I could transfer between multiple devices. This laptop is dying and I uninstalled the key to install it on my current laptop which currently runs Windows 10 home; however, I...
  8. Transfer of product key

Transfer of product key: My windows computer has crashed. I have decide to buy a new one without OS hoping to use the same product key I had already purchased for the crashed PC. Windows states I must first deactivate the first computer in order to transfer the product key. How do I do that if the...
  9. Transferring an old product key to a new system

Transferring an old product key to a new system: I could use some clarification on how product keys work, it's been a long time since I had to think about windows installations. I've been using the same copy of windows for a long time, I've upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10, but have had the same product key for a...
  10. Transferring Product Key from Defunct computer

Transferring Product Key from Defunct computer: My old comp with Windows 10 Pro is defunct and cannot be started. However I managed to remove the hard disk with the system on it which I can access with my new comp throughaa external drive.My new comp has NO operating system . How do I transfer/install Windows 10 from...