Windows 10: Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low

Discus and support Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Why is that happening? The transfer rate starts at about 50MB/s and then stays at 0-5MB/s. Its a Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1 but plugged in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HDFSXFADCD, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low

Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low 19a88ad7-be86-40ae-809e-80f8893ca7ab?upload=true.png

Why is that happening?

The transfer rate starts at about 50MB/s and then stays at 0-5MB/s.

Its a Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1 but plugged in my only USB 2.0 port. Still, the speed should be higher than 5MB/s

Thank you for any help and sorry if it is the wrong place to ask this.

:)

HDFSXFADCD, Mar 3, 2020

2. How to change the drag & drop default bit rate to transfer audio files?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community and sorry for the delayed response.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a couple of things:

• While dragging and dropping do you get an option to change the bit transfer rate?
    • If yes, have you tried changing the bit rate?
    If you get an option I suggest you to try changing the bit rate manually while dragging and dropping and check if this helps. Also please be informed that its by default your files are being transferred with the bit rate 160 kbps. So you may leave a feedback
    by using the Windows feedback App.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file transfer

You write "the file transfer speed drops to zero", yet the xcopy command does not provide you with any feedback about speed or progress. I suggest you do this to drill down a bit further:

• Examine the event logger (as mentioned before)
    • Use robocopy instead of xcopy:

robocopy F:\ D:\ /s
    • Repeat the copy process on a different machine

Frederik Long, Mar 3, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low

how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

Considering your 2nd screenshot, assuming your Disk column is organised high to low, you have a problem with disk transfer rate- it appears to be low yet shown as 100%

There are various programs running that appear unnecessary.

Suggest you do a clean boot and compare. You should expect disk usage when idle - a few mins after boot - to be zero unless there's good reason.

Comparing your 1st and 3rd screenshots, note the max transfer rate is 10x that in the 3rd screenshot.

It's not doing an update, and not apparently a paging problem.

From that it appears you have limited disk transfer rate, and the disk activity doesn't settle to near zero.

There are several threads on the topic of limited transfer rate - here are some:
    Disk usage 100% please help Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Slow internal hard drive tansfer speeds - Windows 10 Forums
    100% Disk Usage, tried some methods found online. - Windows 10 Forums

I'd suggest looking through those first, using any ideas there, keep a list of what you try, and post back with that list if you still have problems.

Please post specs of your PC. See mine for comparison.

dalchina, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low

1. Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low - Similar Threads - Transfer rate drops

2. CPU Usage drops to very low frequently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Usage drops to very low frequently: Hello, I'm on a laptop, and in the past few months I have been having a very strange problem. My CPU frequently drops from around 70-80% usage to 13% usage every few minutes. When this happens, my FPS in any games I am playing drops to 1, and any videos I have playing start...
  3. CPU Usage drops to very low frequently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Usage drops to very low frequently: Hello, I'm on a laptop, and in the past few months I have been having a very strange problem. My CPU frequently drops from around 70-80% usage to 13% usage every few minutes. When this happens, my FPS in any games I am playing drops to 1, and any videos I have playing start...
  4. CPU Usage drops to very low frequently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. GPU Usage suddenly drop very low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU Usage suddenly drop very low: hey, this happened to me when i'm playing games, it seems fine with no lag for couple of minutes and then it suddenly gets very lag, when i check the task manager, the gpu usage suddenly drops to 20-30, can you help me?...
  6. GPU Usage suddenly drop very low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU Usage suddenly drop very low: hey, this happened to me when i'm playing games, it seems fine with no lag for couple of minutes and then it suddenly gets very lag, when i check the task manager, the gpu usage suddenly drops to 20-30, can you help me?...
  7. Frame rate drops

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Frame rate drops: I had this problem a few months back but solved it on day when malware bytes detected a virus and i thought the problem was solved, but now its back. The problem is that when I turn on any game but minecraft bedrock only works when not playing multiplayer the game crashes. At...
  8. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  9. zero windows settings stick and stay, zero

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    zero windows settings stick and stay, zero: None of my settings ever made in windows 10 actually stays. I tell it to defrag daily and it always switches back to weekly. I play a video and wonder why my sound sounds like poop and every time I have to switch back the audio settings from 100% volume, 2ch and...
  10. WiFi speed drops to ZERO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi speed drops to ZERO: The WiFi speed suddenly drops to ZERO. It fluctuates between the maximum speed and zero, and then finally sticks to ZERO. I have tried almost everything like troubleshooting, Re-installing the WiFi driver, Disabling & Enabling the WiFi driver, etc. I have also tried to...