Windows 10: Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

Discus and support Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; my mom has an old laptop windows 8, i think(but maybe 7). the battery is no good and the plug for the power cord is broken, so it does not boot. she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ofsomesort, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

my mom has an old laptop windows 8, i think(but maybe 7). the battery is no good and the plug for the power cord is broken, so it does not boot. she bought a new one and would like to transfer her settings and files to the new one. my idea is to take the hard drive out of the old laptop and put it in an external enclosure and then run whatever transfer program windows comes with. but i'd like to be sure this will work before i take it apart. will it work?

submitted by /u/ofsomesort
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ofsomesort, Aug 10, 2020

2. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Aug 10, 2020
  3. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Yes you'll be able to access your files no problem (from within the OS on the new hard drive). However dont count on it booting from that hard drive. The driver issues will most likely be too much, and it will just blue screen. Theres always a chance it will boot, so try it out, but its going to be a mess uninstalling all the drivers from the previous computer then installing the new ones. It wont be clean, thats for sure. Better to put the old hard drive in the new machine, back up your files to the new hard drive, then reinstall xp on the old hard drive from scratch, if you are able to do that. Ive tried transferring hard drives between computers several times, and most of the time (unless the computers are very similar hardware-wise, i.e. two dells of the same series) they just blue screen. A handful of times though, it has worked, so try it out and see.

As for the external, no it will still have the same effect, as the drivers will kill it (once again, most likely)

Papahyooie, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

recovering files and transferring them to another internal hard drive

Hi,

To help resolve your concern, kindly follow the steps below:

• Install the 1 TB hard drive.
    • Install Windows 10 operating system to the 1 TB hard drive which you added.
    • Change the BIOS settings and set first boot option to the newly installed hard drive with working Windows 10 operating system (BIOS settings would differ per manufacturer. Contact your PC manufacturer for assistance on how to do this.)
    • Boot to Windows 10 of newly installed hard drive. Windows 10 should see the other drive.
    • Copy and paste the important files from other drive to the new one.
    • Format the other drive (as needed).

You may check those files you wanted to moved under C:/Users/username.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

1. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine - Similar Threads - Transfer settings files

2. transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive: the C-Drive is the one i have windows installed onmy current pc has 2 hard drives and the pc i am about to get has only one.a bunch of programs have the program installed on the D-Drive while the config/save files are on the C-Drive.because copying everything takes for ever...
  3. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  4. Transfer fame files to new hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transfer fame files to new hard drive: Hello, i've recently bought a new pc and i wanted to move the game files from old HDD to a new one so i dont have to download the whole game again, as it takes really long time for me.. so i copied everything from steam and other libraries to a new hard drive, but i cannot...
  5. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  6. Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives: My HP laptop is unable to modify or transfer files from external hard drives. It says i need permission to access the folders so i changed the ownership and reset the permissions of the files and it still didn't work. I also tried formatting the hard drives but it didn't...
  7. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  8. New Drive File Transfer

New Drive File Transfer: I want to use a different drive for my PC but don't know how I'm going to move everything back in. Can someone help with that? Also, does it take out all my drivers?...
  9. Transfer OS to new hard drive

Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  10. Using existing hard drive in new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using existing hard drive in new machine: Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it....