Windows 10: Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

Discus and support Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abstractcreeper, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally had windows 8, so I do not have a key to activate windows with. What do I do to transfer the drive fully?

:)

Abstractcreeper, Nov 22, 2018

2. New Hard drive. Awating delivery of new OS (was originally Win 8 but was upgraded to Win 10.

My hard drive died on my old computer this week and I replaced it. went looking for original recovery discs (was Win 8, upgraded later to Win 10 on insiders preview). Ordered new Win 8 discs with intent to upgrade to Windows 10. What will happen if I don't
    get the discs before July 29th?

Bettyboophume(live), Nov 22, 2018
  3. lonewolf Win User
    Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer. Is it possible?

Windows 10 is still a free upgrade if your on win 8 or 7 and yes if its a sata drive you can move the Hard drive over to a new computer but the operating system will not work.

lonewolf, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

Installing the Win 10 upgrade on a new hard drive

My current hard drive is really old and unstable, and I've planning to buy a new SSD for my computer. When I get the Win 10 files, will there be an option to install it on the brand new SSD without changing anything on the old hard drive? My understanding
    is that Win 10 will allow installing on a new partition on the drive where the current Windows system is installed, and it will also allow creating media for installing Win 10 at a later time, but it is not clear if the upgrade will allow keeping the current
    system and hard drive as is, and clean-installing on a brand new hard drive.

mukarakaplan, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

1. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive - Similar Threads - Transfer free upgrade

2. Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7: I had earlier successfully upgraded to Win 10 Home [Retail] from Win 7 Home [Retail]. The computer had some issues with the mainboard/processor and had to be replaced. I want to move this license to a replacement PC. How can I go about this as I dont have the upgraded key for...
  3. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  4. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  5. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  6. Win 10 from upgrade and hard drive change

Win 10 from upgrade and hard drive change: I have a laptop which has preinstalled win 7 on it. I upgraded to win 10 via free upgrade program and now want to change my hard drive. Question is will i be able to go back to win 10? and other one is howa can I create bootable usb flash disk if I can't download win7 iso...
  7. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  8. Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors: I have a Dell that was originally a Win 8 and did the free upgrade to 10. Computer has been lagging and hanging for past couple of weeks. Now I get the BSOD intermittently. In the Win notices I am getting notice for drive errors and also requests to run drive scan and fix...
  9. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  10. Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license

Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license: This may already have been answered, but I haven't seen it answered in a way that I thought captured the significant details. Scenario: I have a PC with a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro installed and activated. I get the free Win 10 Pro upgrade by download. I create an .iso...