Windows 10: Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

Discus and support Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the subject line states... I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ZenTsang, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ZenTsang Win User

Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

As the subject line states...

I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME retail to PRO retail. I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text file. From my understanding, I go into System -> Change key and can put in the new PRO retail key to upgrade from HOME to PRO.

Once I do that... can I now use the HOME retail key on the older PC? Again... I keep stressing retail in this email because I fully understand that OEM keys / upgrades are retained for the PC they came installed on and are not transferable. However, both my HOME and PRO version are retail keys.

If the answer is YES ... please don't just say YES. Please provide the steps necessary to transfer the HOME key so I don't lose it accidentally.

Thanks.

:)

ZenTsang, Oct 22, 2020

2. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries.

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version
    2. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)
    Thanks for any advice I can get...

BobMac1547x, Oct 22, 2020
  3. CMH46 Win User
    Win7 Pro Retail upgraded free to Win10 Pro need my product key.......

Hi, i built my pc years ago. Win7 Pro Retail upgraded free to Win10 Pro need my product key....... so i can reinstall fresh and start over. I cant find my retail box but the OS is registered and activated to me.

How can i find this within my pc?

CMH46, Oct 22, 2020
  4. WhyMe Win User

Are Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

Nah, couldn't post until I had written confirmation.

Update:
    I am currently in the process of doing a clean install with a newly generated Win10 Pro product key that Microsoft have just emailed me. I now have two licenses of Win10 for only the single purchase of Win8.1 retail!!! Well done Microsoft for listening!

• License 1 = Win8.1 Pro Retail + Free promotional Win10 upgrade = Win10 Pro with full transfer rights until July 29 2016. On that day the license will be identified by Microsoft as preinstalled. You would now have a Win10 Pro licensed device, tied to the hardware for the lifetime of the device.
    • License 2 = Full standalone Win10 Pro license = Standalone Win10 Pro with permanent full transfer rights.

*chuckle

WhyMe, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail - Similar Threads - Transfer Win10 HOME

2. Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.: Purchased retail W10 Pro in April. Installed in a VM in Hyper-V for screenshots. Disabled the VM. Now want to upgrade a new W10 Home PC. product key "didn't work."...
  3. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  4. Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys

Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys: My current desktop PC started life with a Windows 8 Pro retail key and now has the latest version of Windows 10 activated by a digital key linked to my MS account. I want to change the motherboard, CPU, memory & system drive with a clean install so I guess Windows 10 will...
  5. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  6. Transferring Win10 retail to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Win10 retail to new PC: I plan on buying a retail copy of Win10 before the new year but I also plan to build a new PC before the end of 2020. The copy I'm looking at says retail 1PC and I'm pretty sure it just means one at a time. Just want to be sure that when I build my new PC I can still...
  7. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...
  8. Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Keep initial Home Win10 license after retail license transfer?: I would like to upgrade a spare dreamspark Win 8 Pro key to Win 10 before the deadline. I also have a laptop that has Win 10 Home (upgraded from OEM Win 8 by digital entitlement). With the dreamspark key, I assume that this laptop can be upgraded to Win 10 Pro. However, I...
  9. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license: Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10...
  10. Win10 upgrade and a retail purchase of Win10 Pro- not the same.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 upgrade and a retail purchase of Win10 Pro- not the same.: MAJOR EDIT 2015-08-02 I am grateful for the folks that have posted here to correct my outdated views of how Win10 is activated and stored. My age is showing and what used to be the way I remembered how MS protected its OS from being misused and how it can remember that my...