Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm planning on buying Windows 10 Pro and although I assume it's possible based on the license terms, I'm still not certain. 2.b says that "Device.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KorvinSilver, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers

I'm planning on buying Windows 10 Pro and although I assume it's possible based on the license terms, I'm still not certain.

2.b says that
    "Device. In this agreement, “device” means ahardware system whether physical or virtual with an internal storage devicecapable of running the software"

2.d.iv says that
    "Use in a virtualizedenvironment. This license allows you to install only one instance of thesoftware for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. Ifyou want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain aseparate license for each instance."

4.b says that
    "Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software asstand-alone software and also if you upgraded from software you acquired asstand-alone software, you may transfer the software to another device thatbelongs to you."

Now, if I understand this correctly, if I buy Windows 10 Pro from microsoft.com, I get a stand-alone software and there should be no problem of me transferring Windows from one PC to another. It also says that a device can be both physical and virtual, and that virtualized installation is allowed. Is my assumption then correct that, if I install it on a VM, then later I want to erase that and install it on a PC, I should be able to not just install it but activate it and use it legally?

Also, is there a limitation on how many times a transfer can happen? I'm not planning on jumping from one device to another really, but I'd like to know if it ever happens that I have to, let's say a power surge kills my computer, but I already transferred once, can I do it again?

:)

KorvinSilver, Apr 9, 2021
  2. DavidY Win User

Is the free upgarde transferable? I think not.

Hi Kari,
    Can you confirm that the computer at step 5 (I numbered your list *Wink ) had never had an activated Insider build (especially not 10240)?

I'm wondering if it was possible that the second machine activated because the activation servers recognised the hardware from an earlier activation, and not because of the method you used to transfer?

DavidY, Apr 9, 2021
  3. DaedalusHelios, Apr 9, 2021
  4. rss81 Win User

Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers

1. Transfer Windows 10 from VM to PC and limitations on number of transfers - Similar Threads - Transfer limitations number

2. Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop: I've recently installed linux in my laptop because it fits better to my needs. However, I'd still like to keep Windows on a virtual machine for using some specific programs and looking how things change after updates so I can know how to help family members when they are...
  3. Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop: I've recently installed linux in my laptop because it fits better to my needs. However, I'd still like to keep Windows on a virtual machine for using some specific programs and looking how things change after updates so I can know how to help family members when they are...
  4. Transfer my Windows 10 licence from my PC to a VM in QUBES on the same PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer my Windows 10 licence from my PC to a VM in QUBES on the same PC.: Hi, I purchased a refurbished PC from an authorized MS refurbisher with Windows 10 Pro on it. I want to install QUBES OS on the machine and operate windows in a VM. Can I install it with the same product key as essentially it will be on the same machine and still a single...
  5. Transfer my Windows 10 licence from my PC to a VM in QUBES on the same PC.

Transfer my Windows 10 licence from my PC to a VM in QUBES on the same PC.: Hi, I purchased a refurbished PC from an authorized MS refurbisher with Windows 10 Pro on it. I want to install QUBES OS on the machine and operate windows in a VM. Can I install it with the same product key as essentially it will be on the same machine and still a single...
  6. Transfer my Windows 10 licence from my PC to a VM in QUBES on the same PC.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Transfer Windows 10/11 Digital License from VM to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10/11 Digital License from VM to another: Hello Everyone,I'm a Mac user with a need to virtualize a Windows instance. On Jan 8th, I installed Parallels on my MacBook Air 13-inch M1. During Parallels installation, it was suggested to install a copy of Windows that I only realised later that is was copy of Windows 11...
  8. Transfer Windows 10/11 Digital License from VM to another

Transfer Windows 10/11 Digital License from VM to another: Hello Everyone,I'm a Mac user with a need to virtualize a Windows instance. On Jan 8th, I installed Parallels on my MacBook Air 13-inch M1. During Parallels installation, it was suggested to install a copy of Windows that I only realised later that is was copy of Windows 11...
  9. Transferring the Windows 10 License from one VM to another

Transferring the Windows 10 License from one VM to another: Hello Team,Hope you are doing Well .!I have activated the Windows 10 License in one of my VM what if I terminate the same can I use that key in other VM too after that ..Regards,Faizan...
  10. Transfer License from a VM to a real PC

Transfer License from a VM to a real PC: I have two VMs that were activated and licensed correctly for Windows 10 Pro. These VMs were used for remote access by employees that no longer work at the company. The company is no longer utilizing remote employees in any capacity. That said, we have two licenses that are...