Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm trying to get a straight answer on transferring Windows that will hopefully also help a lot of people that build their own PCs. I'll try to be as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by twricerocket, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC

I'm trying to get a straight answer on transferring Windows that will hopefully also help a lot of people that build their own PCs. I'll try to be as detailed so that others can have an idea of common problems they will likely encounter.

I built my first PC in 2011 using a Windows 7 Home OEM disk I purchased from a major e-retailer. For various hardware issue reasons, I had to change my Intel P67 motherboard to a Z68 to a Z77, without changing any other part of the computer or system files, so I know the OS has been moved around. I upgraded to Windows 10 Home in 2015 for free when it came out, still on the same Intel Z77 motherboard.

I am building a completely new PC now and am wondering if I can use the OS product key from my old PC, considering that it is a Windows 7 Home OEM upgraded to a Windows 10 Home that was used on a very old motherboard, or if I just need to buy a new OS. Obviously I would deactivate the old PC as necessary.

Albert

:)

twricerocket, Jan 18, 2020

2. Transferring OEM licenses between PC's

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

That means, the computer with the OEM license has not transfer rights.

Resources:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2020
  3. transfer windows 10 to new pc?

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

4. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC - Similar Threads - Transfer Home OEM

2. Windows 11 Home OEM transfer allowed to new custom-built PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home OEM transfer allowed to new custom-built PC: I have a computer running Windows 11 Home OEM and want to move the license to a custom-build PC. Is that possible, or is OEM locked to the original PC? I will be using the same Microsoft account. Thanks...
  3. Windows 11 Home OEM transfer allowed to new custom-built PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home OEM transfer allowed to new custom-built PC: I have a computer running Windows 11 Home OEM and want to move the license to a custom-build PC. Is that possible, or is OEM locked to the original PC? I will be using the same Microsoft account. Thanks...
  4. Transfer of Windows 10 Home to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer of Windows 10 Home to new PC: Some years ago I bought a new pc with Windows 7 installed, later upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Now, I built a new PC and I ask if I can transfer that Windows to the new PC....
  5. Transfer of Windows 10 Home to New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer of Windows 10 Home to New PC: Hello everyone! I have seen many threads across the internet regarding my question and I am still confused on how I can do this. I wish to have a up-to-date solution. So here is my situation: 1. I purchased a RETAIL copy of Windows 8.1 back in 2014? [I used the CMD...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 Home from an old laptop to a new PC?

Transfer Windows 10 Home from an old laptop to a new PC?: Hi, a few months ago, I bought a refurbished PC from my local store which came with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Everything was fine until recently, I'm getting a message to activate my copy of windows. I also own a windows 10 laptop on which I activated my windows 10 home...
  7. Transfer from Windows 10 Home to new PC with 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer from Windows 10 Home to new PC with 10 Pro: Read Getting new PC with pre installed win 10 Pro. Need to xfer all infor, files, etc. from old pc with win 10 hiome, but especially connection info on Outlook on old PC.Ports, password, etc. Best way to do this xfer? Thanx!...
  8. Transfer from PC with Windows 7 home ed. to new PC with Windows 10 home ed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer from PC with Windows 7 home ed. to new PC with Windows 10 home ed.: Hi, For my mother in law, I have to transfer the content from an old PC with Windows 7 home edition installed on it, to a new PC that has Windows 10 home edition installed on it. As far as possible, I would like to transfer not only the data but also the programs. Is the...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC: I received my original PC with a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium that had a product key and when prompted about the free upgrade to Windows 10, I did so (which in turn linked my Microsoft account and License so now I have a digital license of Windows 10 Home) and...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC: Hi, I moved my OEM license to my new PC, workes fine, invalidated the old pc activation before. Now I’ve upgraded my old pc, formatted it, and reinstalled Windows 10 without license and I intend to sell it. But everytime it boots up into windows, I see windows picking up a...