Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I moved my OEM license to my new PC, workes fine, invalidated the old pc activation before. Now I’ve upgraded my old pc, formatted it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GinningSinger54, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

Hi,

I moved my OEM license to my new PC, workes fine, invalidated the old pc activation before.

Now I’ve upgraded my old pc, formatted it, and reinstalled Windows 10 without license and I intend to sell it.

But everytime it boots up into windows, I see windows picking up a digital license online, and activates itself.

I talked to Microsoft’s activation center and they say OEM license is bound to the machine (Mother board if I get it right) and I can’t move it to another pc (unless I disables the old one ).

So my options are to throw my old pc or pay for a new license?

Retail license is way overpriced .

Am I missing something, because it’s just feel like a rip off, why can’t I sell my old pc and let the next guy handle activation?

:)

GinningSinger54, Jan 5, 2019

2. Transferring OEM licenses between PC's

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

That means, the computer with the OEM license has not transfer rights.

Resources:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Jan 5, 2019
  3. transfer windows 10 to new pc?

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

4. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC - Similar Threads - Transfer Home OEM

2. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer OEM license to new SSD: Hello there,I have a laptop with pre-Installed Windows 10 Home edition. Now I have to replace my laptop hard drive. Because it's bad health and slowness. The question is, if I replace my HDD with new SSD Windows 10 digital license will canceled or can I transfer the digital...
  3. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer OEM license to new SSD: Hello there,I have a laptop with pre-Installed Windows 10 Home edition. Now I have to replace my laptop hard drive. Because it's bad health and slowness. The question is, if I replace my HDD with new SSD Windows 10 digital license will canceled or can I transfer the digital...
  4. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. OEM Win 10 license transfer

OEM Win 10 license transfer: Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all...
  6. Transfer OEM license to new notebook?

Transfer OEM license to new notebook?: Hello, I have/had a toshiba qosmio X70-B-11D notebook.Which jsut stopped working and doesnt even boot anymore.However the internal harddrive seems unharmed and the files on it undamagedI can access them on another computer after turning it into an external hard driveso I...
  7. transfer windows 10 license to new PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    transfer windows 10 license to new PC: hi i have a windows 10 license linked to my microsoft account i'm going to Format my old PC and sell it. what should i do to transfer it to my new PC ? submitted by /u/Krzmaa [link] [comments]...
  8. Transferring Windows 10 License to new pc

Transferring Windows 10 License to new pc: I’ve built a new pc and wish to transfer my license for Windows 10 on my current PC to my new system. Windows 10 is currently activated by digital license via free upgrade on my current system. I don’t know my current windows product key because it is covered in my...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license from my home-built PC to a new PC: I'm trying to get a straight answer on transferring Windows that will hopefully also help a lot of people that build their own PCs. I'll try to be as detailed so that others can have an idea of common problems they will likely encounter. I built my first PC in 2011 using a...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC: I received my original PC with a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium that had a product key and when prompted about the free upgrade to Windows 10, I did so (which in turn linked my Microsoft account and License so now I have a digital license of Windows 10 Home) and...