Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded my pre-installed Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional on my previous device through Microsoft Store (upgrade connected to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alexander Yefimochkin, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device

Hello,

I upgraded my pre-installed Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional on my previous device through Microsoft Store (upgrade connected to my Microsoft account, I can see it in "Order History" but no licence key appears). My laptop broke down accidentally and I had to buy a new laptop that came with Windows 10 Home. How do I transfer my Windows 10 Professional Upgrade to my new device since I can't use the old device?

Thank you

:)

Alexander Yefimochkin, Apr 20, 2019
  2. neilpzz Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Licence from Old/Dead Computer to New Computer

Depends on the licence you have. How did you get your Windows 10 licence, was it via the free upgrade and was the previous system installed by the manufacturer = OEM.

OEM licences cannot be transferred, generally but recent posts suggest MS is allowing some transfers.

Retail boxed licence can be transferred to a new device.

New motherboard = new device.

neilpzz, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Holy_Geek Win User
    Licence Rights and transferring from device to device

As already known in windows 7 that the retail licence can be transferred to any device but the OEM licence is not transferable. So, my question is that,
    is it same for windows 10 also that OEM licence cannot be transferred to other devices or after device upgrades (motherboard change, etc) and also about the retail version of windows 10?
    And
    Please confirm the licencing rights and transferring of licences after free upgrade from windows 10 and also after buying retail windows 10.

Holy_Geek, Apr 20, 2019
  4. neilpzz Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device

Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Was Windows 7 pre-installed, if so it is OEM and not transferrable to a new device. As Windows 10 derives its licence status from the old Windows 7 licence then you cannot transfer it to a new device.

If you bought Windows 7 retail then you should have the licence key and you can use that to transfer Windows 10 to a new device.

neilpzz, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device

1. Transfer Windows 10 Home upgrade to Professional licence to new device - Similar Threads - Transfer Home upgrade

2. Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.: Hi,I've been in contact with tech support for months and they claim that it is impossible, but I refuse to believe that Windows does not have a protocol to deal with licence transfers from damaged devices.I bought a Windows 11 licence through the Windows store, activated it...
  3. Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.: Hi,I've been in contact with tech support for months and they claim that it is impossible, but I refuse to believe that Windows does not have a protocol to deal with licence transfers from damaged devices.I bought a Windows 11 licence through the Windows store, activated it...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  5. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Transferring a Windows 10 Home Licence between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring a Windows 10 Home Licence between computers: i got a preinstalled version of Windows 8 on my Lenovo Yoda 3 Pro. I upgraded it to Windows 10 Home. Now the Lenovo is not working and I want to transfer the Windows 10 Licence to my Windows 10 on Parallels for Mac. What do I do?...
  8. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Professional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Professional: I recently purchased a refurbished cpu with Windows 10 Home installed. Wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional. Put in product key but it didnt work. Now the computer is saying Windows is not activated....
  9. Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard: Hello, My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from windows 7. My PC is broken - I suspect its the motherboard and the hard drive is still working. Am I able to buy another machine, put in the old hard drive (if still working) and still use my existing windows 10...
  10. Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV: Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance? Can I use the...