Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to get a new computer since my laptop is unusable, my hard drives still functioned except for the small ssd that had my OS. The drive had to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abder63, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Abder63 Win User

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

I had to get a new computer since my laptop is unusable, my hard drives still functioned except for the small ssd that had my OS. The drive had to be wiped and reformatted. Is there anyway to get the activation key of windows 10 I had but on this computer? I am heading to university in a couple weeks and can't really afford buying a new copy of windows.

:)

Abder63, Aug 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 License question - New PC and old computer still exists.

Hi Microsoft Community!

I'm in the process of assembling a new PC and am going to give the old PC to my younger brother. I want to transfer my existing license to the new computer and if possible "de-license" the old one. These are the particulars:

• My Windows 10 license was purchased on the Microsoft website and originally activated with a product key.
    • I still have this product key.
    • I have since formatted the PC and after re-installing Windows 10 the activation is now with a digital license.
    • I prefer using local accounts on my PC and thus haven't created a Microsoft account enabled user.

My question is how to best go about transferring the license? Can I just format the old PC and activate my license on the new PC with the product key? If I do that will I get a problem when my brother installs Windows on the old computer again, since it
    now has a digital license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Door, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Activate new device with old device' product key

No, you can't do what you are suggesting, because the Windows 10 Pro license you mentioned is pre-loaded on the old machine. OEM licenses as they are called are not transferable. Only if the Windows 10 Pro was a retail store bought license would be able
    to do that. Otherwise, you have to purchase an entirely new full version license for the Windows 10 Home computer you now have.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Go to Store

Click the $99 button the make your purchase the follow the on screen instructions.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 6, 2019
  4. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

1. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key - Similar Threads - Transfer license computer

2. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer windows key from old device to new without access to old device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer windows key from old device to new without access to old device?: I sent my old laptop back to be replaced under warranty and it had windows 10 pro installed. I did not remove the license key off the device before sending it. The old and new device are both still linked to my microsoft account, is there any way to remove they keyoff my old...
  6. Transfer windows key from old device to new without access to old device?

Transfer windows key from old device to new without access to old device?: I sent my old laptop back to be replaced under warranty and it had windows 10 pro installed. I did not remove the license key off the device before sending it. The old and new device are both still linked to my microsoft account, is there any way to remove they keyoff my old...
  7. Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.

Transferring license key from an old computer to the new one.: I have an old HP laptop which I upgraded from Win 7 to Windows 10 and wonder if I can transfer the license key from that laptop before recycling it, to my desktop PC I run with a digital license....
  8. Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.

Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.: Long story short, my previous system had a catastrophic failure where the motherboard, cpu and HDD no longer function it's an 8 year old system so while I expected it to kick the bucket at some point, I certainly did not foresee this kind of damage. I remember having to...
  9. Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer: To put it simply, the computer I built many years ago no longer functions. When I put that computer together I purchased a retail license of windows 10. I'm in the process of getting parts to put together a new rig and was curious as to how I would be able to transfer my...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer

Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer: Hi. I was using a laptop with a digital Windows 10 Pro license that I had purchased. The laptop suddenly stopped working and I'm unable to boot it up anymore. I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I wanted to know if there is a way to transfer the Pro...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 transfer license without acess to the old computer

2. transfer windows 10 license without key

3. transfer autodesk license without old computer