Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Long story short, my previous system had a catastrophic failure where the motherboard, cpu and HDD no longer function it's an 8 year old system so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VeluVelu, May 30, 2020.

1. VeluVelu Win User

Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.

Long story short, my previous system had a catastrophic failure where the motherboard, cpu and HDD no longer function it's an 8 year old system so while I expected it to kick the bucket at some point, I certainly did not foresee this kind of damage. I remember having to purchase windows home for 140 dollars a while back to activate it.

I understand that I have to have the license tied to my windows account in order to transfer it, but I have no way to check where it was tied to, at least not through the old system. My windows account page is not very helpful either, it does not clearly state where the license is tied to, in fact the past orders page does not even list the windows purchase. Where do I go?

Assuming it IS tied to my account, what do I do once I build the new system and install windows home? Do I just log into my windows account and hope that it gives me an option to transfer the license? Do i need to remove the previous system from my Microsoft account before doing this? Will that erase my license with it? Or will windows take care of everything as soon as I log into the new system?

Any guidance on matter will be greatly appreciated.

:)

VeluVelu, May 30, 2020
  2. Devils41 Win User

Help with OS Transfer on a new build

Need some help figuring out what I need to do for a fresh build tomorrow. I will be moving off of my old CPU and mobo to a new X99 system. Right now I have my OS on a Sata SSD and want to transfer it onto a new NVME drive.

Some issues:
    • I have a windows 10 upgrade from a RETAIL windows 7 license so I should have migration rights correct?
    • I have 3 other non-OS drives so after I do the install with my old/ current Microsoft account will my fresh install of windows recognise those drives?
    If you guys could shed some light on how to do this or advice please lend a hand. thanks!

Devils41, May 30, 2020
  3. lsylsy1 Win User
    Transfer windows 10 Pro license to new build pc

I would like to Transfer windows 10 Pro license from a most dead old PC to new build pc. Teach me how.

lsylsy1, May 30, 2020
  4. Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system.

1. Transfer Windows 10 license to new build without access to old system. - Similar Threads - Transfer license build

2. Transfer Windows License to new build?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows License to new build?: I'm building a new computer and am trying to figure out if my existing windows license will work on the new computer and if I can upgrade to Win 11. Or do I need to buy a new license. I bought a full retail version of Win 7 Pro initially, and upgraded to Win 10. I'd like to...
  3. Transfer Windows License to new build?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows License to new build?: I'm building a new computer and am trying to figure out if my existing windows license will work on the new computer and if I can upgrade to Win 11. Or do I need to buy a new license. I bought a full retail version of Win 7 Pro initially, and upgraded to Win 10. I'd like to...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  5. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...: Hi Guys, I have upgraded my hardware some time ago and sold out the the old components already. Can I still transfer the my Win10 license to the new hardware. I have the retail box, the key card etc.Thanks!...
  8. Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer: To put it simply, the computer I built many years ago no longer functions. When I put that computer together I purchased a retail license of windows 10. I'm in the process of getting parts to put together a new rig and was curious as to how I would be able to transfer my...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer

Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer: Hi. I was using a laptop with a digital Windows 10 Pro license that I had purchased. The laptop suddenly stopped working and I'm unable to boot it up anymore. I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I wanted to know if there is a way to transfer the Pro...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key: I had to get a new computer since my laptop is unusable, my hard drives still functioned except for the small ssd that had my OS. The drive had to be wiped and reformatted. Is there anyway to get the activation key of windows 10 I had but on this computer? I am heading to...