Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from dead computer to current PC with Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from dead computer to current PC with Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had an old PC with a Windows 8.1 Retail License that was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro during the free upgrade window a few years ago. That computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ajdornier, Apr 19, 2020.

1. ajdornier Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from dead computer to current PC with Windows 10 Home

I had an old PC with a Windows 8.1 Retail License that was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro during the free upgrade window a few years ago. That computer stopped working and rather than spending money on repairing it, I bought a new computer that has Windows 10 Home pre-installed. Is it possible for me to transfer my previous Windows 10 Pro license to my new computer?

I tried Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter as suggested in some forums but I don't even see a troubleshooter option, even when I logged in as Admin.

Thanks!

:)

ajdornier, Apr 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Hardware change

Technically, a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and if your current copy of Windows 10 was an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you need to buy a new W10 license. While the process may allow you to activate Windows 10 that was an upgrade, that does not make it legal to do so.

The current free Windows 10 program is only for people who currently have a legal copy of Window 7 or Windows 8.1 installed on their systems. And those upgrade licenses are NOT legally transferable to new computers.

If you purchased a full retail W10 license separately for your current computer and wish to install this W10 on this new computer, you can legally do that as long as you uninstalled it from the old computer.

Windows system builder licensing for personal use

The good new is, once you buy a new Windows 10 license, you can transfer it to a new computer as many times as you like. So this would be a one time purchase.

Bill_Bright, Apr 19, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Rob4642 Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from dead computer to current PC with Windows 10 Home

Need help with transferring Windows 10 to new PC

*Nevermind I figured it out. I just bought a license key for $29.00. Thx though.
    So my friend asked me to build him a new computer for work. The last one I built him was during the windows 7-10 upgrade grace period. I used to load windows 7, use windows loader to put in a product key, activate it, then upgrade to windows 10. Now that the grace period is over, and I'm working with new hardware, I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 10 from an already functioning computer that operated on a sata SSD to a new computer with an m.2 nvme SSD, using just the product key from the current windows 10 off of his computer. I use a program that grabs the product key called ProduKey.
    Should I do a fresh install of windows 10 using his key after deactivating it from his current PC , instead of cloning drives correct? It would be nice not to have to pay microsoft $200 for windows 10 if he already has it and plans on not using his old pc anymore.

Rob4642, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from dead computer to current PC with Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Transfer Pro license

2. Windows 10 Pro license on a dead PC, Windows 10 Home on a new one...transfer license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro license on a dead PC, Windows 10 Home on a new one...transfer license?: Completer motherboard failure on an older PC 10 years. Figuring new board, CPU, DDR, etc., getting a Dell XPS 8940 via Costco. Good hardware, Windows Home 10. I do have the license information on my old PC Windows 10 Pro. I have a home network using Windows Server Essentials...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop: Hello! A laptop I had, using a retail license of Windows 10 Pro, died a while ago and cannot be repaired - the laptop remained at the seller and he sent a replacement unit which is yet to arrive. Is there any way I can migrate the Pro license to a new machine? Thank you for...
  4. Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability

Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability: Hello, I purchased an upgrade license from Home to Pro on my laptop. I recently purchased a new laptop that also came with Windows Home. Am I able to transfer the upgrade license from previous laptop to this new laptop? Thank you in advance for your help!...
  5. How to Transfer Windows 10 License from a dead pc to a New one

How to Transfer Windows 10 License from a dead pc to a New one: How Can I Transfer my Windows 10 License from my dead pc to a New Computer. The old computer's motherboard cant repair. Can I transfer the license to another PC. I purchased Windows 10 DVD earlier. I have a serial number on it. can I re-use it ?...
  6. transfer the license from a dead computer

transfer the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  7. Transfer Windows 10 license from old dead computer to new computer?

Transfer Windows 10 license from old dead computer to new computer?: I have an old computer that died, which was running Windows 10. I have another computer that my dad gifted to me, but I want to transfer the license from my old computer to the gifted computer. Unfortunately, I don't know where I stored the old Windows Product Key. I've...
  8. Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer

Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer: Hi everyone I would like to ask if i can transfer my old windows 10 license to a working computer. My old computer seems to be dead and all of my data in the hard drive isnt possible for recovery. So if ever possible, i want to transfer my windows license to a working...
  9. Transfer license from the dead

Transfer license from the dead: My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new laptop. Which turned out to be a Surface - it comes with Windows 10 S (which seems to be a 'we want to protect you from...
  10. Windows 10 transfer from dead computer

Windows 10 transfer from dead computer: I have a laptop which had Windows 10 installed (probably from an upgrade from 8 or 7) and a PC running Windows 7. The laptop's HDD has partially crashed. Is there any way I can transfer the Win 10 licence from the laptop to the PC? Can I boot the laptop into DOS or something...