Windows 10: Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive

Discus and support Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I bought a computer that had windows 10 home on it. I went to upgrade to pro in the windows store so I can make sure to get this computer on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ETJR, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ETJR Win User

Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive

Hello,

I bought a computer that had windows 10 home on it. I went to upgrade to pro in the windows store so I can make sure to get this computer on my domain. Recently the computer is having hard drive issues and requires me to replace the hard drive. I was wondering is there a way that I can transfer my windows 10 pro license to the new hard drive when I install it. I worry that when I change out the hard drive, the computer is going to default to windows 10 home. I did make a bootable disk using the windows media tool, but it keeps pulling up windows 10 home. Has anyone had success in having to change their hard drive and still being able to keep their windows 10 pro license?

Thank you

:)

2. GFritz_33 Win User

Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Hi SarahKong

Thansks fo the response. I looked at the Wiki that you suggested. The first step of the wiki is as follows:

"

Determine whether your Windows 10 license can be transferred. There are some restrictions when it comes to transferring the license:[1]
    • If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many times you want.
    • If you upgraded from a OEM (pre-installed by your computer’s manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license, your Windows 10 license cannot be transferred.
    • If you upgraded using the Easy Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10, you can transfer the license using Digital Licensing."
    My windows 10 is the pre installed one that comes on my computer. So my situation does not seem to fit any of cases mentioned above.

i look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

GFritz_33, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro License Transfer on hard drive failure

Just to be certain:

I had a desktop with a retail version of Win 10 Pro that experienced a hard drive failure. Obviously, I still have the USB drive and key. The old computer wasn't worth updating so I purchased a new computer that came with Win10 Home edition. I'd like to
    transfer that version over to Win10 Pro. Before I hose my new computer, I need to know 2 things:

1. Is the license transferable? From what I see, the retail version seems to allow this but as the old hard drive is toast I can't uninstall or deactivate the other version of Win 10.

2. Is this a link to show the procedure to do this?

Thanx!

RichZepernick, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive

Andre Da Costa, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive

1. Transfer windows 10 pro license to another hard drive - Similar Threads - Transfer pro license

2. How to transfer a Windows 10 Pro license to another device ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer a Windows 10 Pro license to another device ?: I bought a Windows 10 Pro license last year from the official Windows Store app on my laptop. Now I have a new desktop and I want to use the same license on it. Can I transfer the license from the laptop to the desktop? And if so, how can I do that?...
  3. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  4. How to transfer windows license from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer windows license from one hard drive to another?: I have a registered version of Windows 10 on my secondary hard drive (E) but on my main hard drive (C), I dont. How can I transfer the registration from E to C? submitted by /u/_Pigface [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows 10 Pro License Key Transfer to another PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro License Key Transfer to another PC: Hi,I just sold my motherboard and processor but took my SSD with my bootable copy of Windows 10 Pro.The thing is, I was not able to deactivate my old license using the old PC but I still have my SSD which I am also planning on replacing.What do I need to do?Thanks!...
  6. Windows 10 Pro License Transfer to another motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro License Transfer to another motherboard: My current motherboard and cpu is very old an I am thinking about replacing them... I want to know how can I transfer my current license to the new motherboard.... I have a Retail 2PC digital license and need to replace only one PC my other pc doesn't need license...
  7. Transfer files & Windows 10 Pro to another hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer files & Windows 10 Pro to another hard drive?: I apologize if this is the wrong sub! Basically, my Windows 10 Pro and some other personal files are on a smaller SSD, and I just bought a bigger SSD. Is there a way for me to transfer my Windows 10 Pro OS from the smaller SSD to the bigger SSD without having to reinstall...
  8. Transferring Windows 10 Pro digital license to another computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows 10 Pro digital license to another computer: Hello, Can I transfer my free upgrade of Windows 10 Professional digital license to another newer computer with Windows 10 Home already activated?...
  9. transfer one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer one hard drive to another?: How to I transfer One Hard drive to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-one-hard-drive-to-another/0999f86b-9ea6-439b-84b4-e510b8a0e59a"
  10. Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive: Hello! I have only 2 gb free space on my system drive, so I have a question. Is there a way to transfer working windows 10 system to another hard drive without reinstalling it?...