Windows 10: Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive

Discus and support Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an all-in-one computer that came with Windows 10 installed. It has a 1tb HDD and a 256 Gb SSD with windows installed on the HDD. I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Somebody32x2, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive

I have an all-in-one computer that came with Windows 10 installed. It has a 1tb HDD and a 256 Gb SSD with windows installed on the HDD. I want to re-install windows on to the SSD so I can boot from the SSD and access the files on the HDD. But I want to do so without purchasing windows.

:)

Somebody32x2, Jul 5, 2020
  2. sttubs Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jul 5, 2020
  3. how to Transfer files from PC window 10 to pendrive

Hi Manoj,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• Do you have the administrator access to sign in to Windows 10?

• Is the issue specific when you try to transfer the particular file/all files?

• Did you try to connect the other pen drive to other computer and check to isolate the issue?

• Do you get any error message when you try to transfer files to pen drive?

Hi,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• Do you have the administrator access to sign in to Windows 10?

• Did you try to connect the other pen drive to other computer and check to isolate the issue?

• Do you get any error message when you try to transfer files to pen drive?
    Try the following steps and check if it helps.

• You may try to connect the pen drive to other USB ports and check if the issue persist.

• Sign in to the Windows 10 through Administrator user account.

• Put the computer in Clean Boot and check if it helps.By setting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 also.

Note: After Clean Boot troubleshooting step, refer to “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot” from the article.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive

Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive

1. Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive - Similar Threads - Transfer Boot Drive

2. transfer windows 10 from C drive to SSD so I can boot up from SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows 10 from C drive to SSD so I can boot up from SSD: thinking of getting a 240GB SSD for booting but after searching around on the internet most methods seem a bit too complex for me and also involve deleting everything from my C drive which is completely out of the question. is there a simple way to transfer or even download...
  3. Windows 10 transfer from drive to drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 transfer from drive to drive?: I'm about to buy a new PC from a system builder which will come with Windows 10 pre-installed on an M2 drive. so "OEM"?? I'm aware than M2/SSD drives have endurance issues am am concerned what will happen to my use of windows 10 if the drive failed after, say, 5 years. Would...
  4. Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop: This may be a dumb question but I have new laptop with a 500GB boot drive and a secondary 1TB spinner drive in it but have no idea on how to transfer say photos and other data like that from the boot drive to the larger disk. I don't wantto copy the Windows installation as...
  5. Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive: so i have an ssdsamsung QVO 860 1TB and a hdddon't know the name and i had windows 10 installed on my ssd working perfectly fine and i wanted to install Linux ubuntu on my hdd since it was empty and i wanted to try it out. It couldn't install because it only detected my ssd...
  6. Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive): My PC had a 128GB SSD which contained a linux installation. I also had a 1TB HDD installed that contains my Windows 10 LTSC installation. I ran out of space on my linux SSD so I bought a 1TB SSD to replace this. My problem is that when I remove my linux SSD and replace it...
  7. Transferring boot drive with windows 10 to another laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring boot drive with windows 10 to another laptop: Hey all, I bought a gaming laptop a while ago and got a license of windows 10 education on it, but I want to upgrade my device and was wondering if I could simply deactivate windows, put my boot drive in the new laptop and reuse the license on it instead. It takes quite some...
  8. Transferring boot drive with windows 10 to another laptop

Transferring boot drive with windows 10 to another laptop: Hey all, I bought a gaming laptop a while ago and got a license of windows 10 education on it, but I want to upgrade my device and was wondering if I could simply deactivate windows, put my boot drive in the new laptop and reuse the license on it instead. It takes quite some...
  9. How to transfer windows 10 from corrupted drive

How to transfer windows 10 from corrupted drive: My current hard drive is corrupted and I am in the process of replacing it. Originally it came with Windows 7, which I upgraded to Windows 10. How do I transfer my license to the new installation? I can't seem to any information from the corrupted drive....
  10. Boot Macrium from other drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Macrium from other drive: I followed this tutorial to add Macrium to another HDD on one of my PCs and it worked fine: FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD But when I tried to do the same thing to two other PCs they would not boot to the Macrium partition. No error...