Windows 10: Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

Discus and support Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Greggie15, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Greggie15 Win User

Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer the Windows license without cloning the hard drive?

EDIT: I found this thread and linked my license to my account, will the Activation Troubleshooter work with a completely new installation of Windows on the new SSD?

:)

Greggie15, Nov 9, 2020
  2. Pinchy Win User

New hard drive...transfer everything over?

Im getting a new 250GIG SATAII hard drive, with 16mb cache.

Just like to know if there is any simple way of transferring all my old stuff on the current drive onto this new drive without too much trouble. Like is there a way of transferring the whole OS (windows XP), all the progs and stuff onto this new HDD through an image or in an easy way?

Thanks in advanced *Smile Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive? :)

Cheers *Toast :toast:
    Pinchy

Pinchy, Nov 9, 2020
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Nov 9, 2020
  4. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

little cat, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

1. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - Transfer Hard Drive

2. hard drive transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    hard drive transfer: can I transfer my ssd hard drive with the windows 10 home upgrade it is the retail version it is on a gateway fx 6803-25 to a new motherboard that is the gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER...
  3. transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build

transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build: I have an old Dell desktop ~8 years old with two much newer Western Digital hard drives that I would like to use in a new DIY build. Are there possible problems, either with the Microsoft Windows 10 license or with interfacing into a new motherboard?...
  4. Transfer fame files to new hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transfer fame files to new hard drive: Hello, i've recently bought a new pc and i wanted to move the game files from old HDD to a new one so i dont have to download the whole game again, as it takes really long time for me.. so i copied everything from steam and other libraries to a new hard drive, but i cannot...
  5. Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring hard drive to new computer setup: I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to boot, bluescreening over and over again, and I was forced to use a fresh installation. Does Windows still do that? I've heard...
  6. Hard Drive Transfer

Hard Drive Transfer: Hello,I am finishing my first pc build and I would like to know if I can Transfer from my laptop2009ish to my new desktop my hard drive+window 10 i have install. I have a key from a paid version of win 7 installed under the free win 10 upgrade.Im guessing i just hook the HDD...
  7. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  8. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  9. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  10. transfer hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    transfer hard drive: My old computer was a windows 8 that was upgraded to windows 10. I just ordered a new i5 6600 which comes with windows 10, a 250G SSD and 1 TB hard drive.. My old hard drive appears to be a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA which seems to be the same as the one in my new Vanquish....