Windows 10: Transfer Windows to SSD

Discus and support Transfer Windows to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I have a new laptop with 2 disks : 1 HDD GPT disk 930.88 GB partition C ; 99MB EFI System partition ; 529MB Recovery partition and 1 SSD 119.23... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OvidiuPopescu, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Transfer Windows to SSD

Hello

I have a new laptop with 2 disks : 1 HDD GPT disk 930.88 GB partition C ; 99MB EFI System partition ; 529MB Recovery partition and 1 SSD 119.23 GB.

The SSD initially came as MBR disk, having a partition with HPfiles, 1 with some system files and 1 unallocated.

Because of SSD was MBR disk, I was forced to install Windows 10 on the HDD.

Now I converted the SSD to GPT backed on C: drive the above mentioned files, clean the volumes and converted SSD to GPT with Windows Disk management. Now I have on SSD only 1 partition of 119.23 GB.

I want to transfer the OS Windows 10 to the SSD in order to boot from SSD, install afterwards the main applications/programs Office, Bitdefender on SSD and use the HDD only for the files storage and various non essential apps/programs.

Kindly ask for advise on the easiest and free way to do this.

Thank you

:)

OvidiuPopescu, Jan 24, 2021

2. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Kursah Win User
    SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Transfer Windows to SSD :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 24, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Transfer Windows to SSD

Transfer System disk image to SSD

Here's my suggestion: Connect the SSD to the PC.

1. Download: Macrium Reflect Free and install then run.
      IMPORTANT: click on the 1st icon on the top left to create a Macrium Rescue disk (using USB or DVD)
    2. Open Disk Management and make sure the SSD is disk 1.
      From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 1
      clean
      exit
      exit
    3. From Macrium, The disk with Windows currently running will have the partitions as shown in your screen shot above. Click on Clone this disk...
      A Windows popup, click on select a disk to clone to...
      Click on the SSD
    4. Select the 100MB "System Reserved", drag and drop to the destination (SSD)
    5. Select the 60GB "C Drive", drag and drop to the destination(SSD) next to the System Reserved
    6. Click Next->Finish
    7. Once done, shutdown, disconnect the HD and connect the SSD Only
    8. Boot up with the Macrium Rescue disk created in step 1.
    9. Once booted, click on "Fix Windows boot problems" and follow the instruction to complete.
    10. Remove the Rescue disk and reboot.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Transfer Windows to SSD

1. Transfer Windows to SSD - Similar Threads - Transfer SSD

2. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  3. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  4. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I transfer Windows 11 to another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I transfer Windows 11 to another SSD: My motherboard has 2 nvme slots at first I had a single SSD then I got another one which is faster and larger on capacity. I have got files on both old and new SSD so deleting anything is not an option for me. Old SSD holds the Windows install so is it possible to transfer...
  6. How can I transfer Windows 11 to another SSD

How can I transfer Windows 11 to another SSD: My motherboard has 2 nvme slots at first I had a single SSD then I got another one which is faster and larger on capacity. I have got files on both old and new SSD so deleting anything is not an option for me. Old SSD holds the Windows install so is it possible to transfer...
  7. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo: Today I got my new 870 evo, I installed it and proceeded to initialize the drive as well as give it a new volume. I then download the Samsung wizard tool for data migration and proceeded. I noticed that during the migration process my new D: drive disappears, goes offline and...
  8. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo: Today I got my new 870 evo, I installed it and proceeded to initialize the drive as well as give it a new volume. I then download the Samsung wizard tool for data migration and proceeded. I noticed that during the migration process my new D: drive disappears, goes offline and...
  9. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Transferring Windows 11 Key FPP to New PC New SSD and New MoBo

Transferring Windows 11 Key FPP to New PC New SSD and New MoBo: Hello,I would like to transfer my Windows 11 license key FPP to a completely new PC new ssd + new MoBo.On my original PC it shows that the license key has been linked to my Microsoft account:But when I sign-in on my new PC with the same account as above I cannot activate the...