Windows 10: Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine?

Discus and support Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that is no longer truly functional (dead keyboard, only Pentium 2, etc...) and I would likely scrap it. I have it's windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alex 987788776654265, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine?

I have an older laptop that is no longer truly functional (dead keyboard, only Pentium 2, etc...) and I would likely scrap it. I have it's windows license key, likely from Windows 7 that was originally on it (it's Windows 10 now, but deathly slow and useless even with SSDs installed).

Anyway, I am building a new system (desktop) and I want to know if I can re-use this windows key, considering that old machine is going to be recycled?

:)

Alex 987788776654265, Dec 23, 2018

2. Microsoft allows unlimited machine-to-machine transfers of Windows Vista

On October 16th, Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to limit the amount of times users transferred their Windows Vista license. There was a humongous outcry from computer hobbyists, and Microsoft has officially decided to let users transfer their copy of Windows Vista from one machine to another as many times as they like. This is of course assuming that the copy of Windows Vista is genuine, and that the said copy of Windows Vista is no longer on the machine Windows Vista was transferred from. Microsoft will not change any other components of their license, which includes a limit on running Windows Vista in a virtual machine.

Source: CNET

zekrahminator, Dec 23, 2018
  3. DavidRVA Win User
    Transfer files (Pictures, Documents) from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 PC

I recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10. My old laptop has windows 7. Can anyone list the step-by-step instructions for transferring the data to the new machine? I understand that windows easy transfer is no longer an option for windows 10.

DavidRVA, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine?

Transfer a OEM Windows key from an old Windows 7 machine to a new Windows 10 machine.

I am a custom system builder, and I am trying to move a key from an older machine to a new one. I purchased the key as an OEM Windows 7 disk from Amazon, and installed it on a machine several years ago. I recently did a significant hardware upgrade, including
    new RAM, Processor and Motherboard but scrapped almost everything else from the old Windows 7 machine, so it is no longer usable. When I did the hardware upgrade, it seemed silly to completely install Windows 7 on the new machine, just to then install Windows
    10, so I created a USB .iso using Microsoft's installation media creation program. I now have the new machine with the new hardware running (inactivated) Windows 10, and if possible, I would like to transfer the licence from the old machine to the new one
    without purchasing a new key.

I have heard from several sources that (at least in the past) there is no way to do this. I just need confirmation from an expert before I spend the money on a new Windows 10 key.

IsaiahShiner, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine?

1. Transfer WIndows when scrapping old machine? - Similar Threads - Transfer scrapping old

2. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.: i just purchased a new pc with windows 11 home. my old pc used windows 10 home that i upgraded with a digital license to pro. i can see the evidence of the pro upgrade in my windows account. how do i transfer the pro upgrade from my old windows 10 machine to my new windows 11...
  3. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.: i just purchased a new pc with windows 11 home. my old pc used windows 10 home that i upgraded with a digital license to pro. i can see the evidence of the pro upgrade in my windows account. how do i transfer the pro upgrade from my old windows 10 machine to my new windows 11...
  4. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  6. Windows 10 Activation on different computer old computer scrapped

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation on different computer old computer scrapped: I purchased a new computer in Thailand still live in Thailand and Windows 10 Enterprise requires activation.We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server. Etc and has an error code 0xC004F074. I then tried to change the...
  7. Scrap password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Scrap password: At present I have to type in a password to log in to computer. I want to get rid of this password (not change it) so I don't need a password. How? 131121
  8. Scrap password

in Windows 10 Support
    Scrap password: At present I have to type in a password to log in to computer. I want to get rid of this password (not change it) so I don't need a password. How? 131121
  9. Transfer RETAIL Windows 10 from old laptop to new machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer RETAIL Windows 10 from old laptop to new machine?: Hi guys, I've got a really old laptop that's struggling with Windows and I'd love to give it more life running as a basic stripped down Linux web-browser. But I have a full RETAIL Windows 10 product key, and would love to bootcamp Windows on my iMac. Do I need to 'uninstall'...
  10. Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine: Hi, I've searched and can't seem to find an answer for this: is it possible to move a virtual machine in Oracle's VirtualBox to a physical machine? Thanks 88840