Windows 10: Transfering backup files

Discus and support Transfering backup files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to purchase a new computer and am attempting to load my files from my external hard drive. I used windows backup and thought that a new system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TC_747, Aug 23, 2018.

1. TC_747 Win User

Transfering backup files

I had to purchase a new computer and am attempting to load my files from my external hard drive. I used windows backup and thought that a new system with windows 10 would find the folder. Unfortunately I seem not to find the file nor how to find and restore everything.

I am a novice computer user but can do basic stuff. Any help will be appreciated.

:)

TC_747, Aug 23, 2018

2. File transfer

Hi Paul,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Files are automatically transferred to the new operating system when you upgrade therefore, you need not transfer anything. If you created a backup before you initiated the upgrade, you could've restored the files should there be any data loss. However,
    if there are some missing files, I would suggest you to try the steps suggested above and check if you are able to retrieve the files.

Hope this helps.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Steevo Win User
    Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Geekoid Win User

Transfering backup files

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Transfering backup files

1. Transfering backup files - Similar Threads - Transfering backup files

2. transferring files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    transferring files: im trying to transfer files from my laptop to my flashdrive and also from a flashdrive to another flashdrive.. the flashdrive is usb 3 so i was expecting that it would be a bit fast.. but i dont know why when im transferring files speed is fast at first but after like a...
  3. Backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup files: I want to set up automatic daily backup of my files e.g. documents and photos. I don't see an option to select the time of the backup to start. How do I choose the daily backup start time?...
  4. After transferring files to my backup drive, can deleted files be restored?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After transferring files to my backup drive, can deleted files be restored?: I was paying $1.99 for 50 Gb of storage and chose to transfer all my files from 9 years of my son's life photos collection and did one by one by year. It turned out after, I checked all files on back up drive and all it seems fine! Well, my files got deleted after 30 days....
  5. Can't get Win 7 backup files to transfer into Win 10

Can't get Win 7 backup files to transfer into Win 10: I regularly backed up Windows 7, but when I tried to restore those files to Windows 10 I failed. The message is: "\\?\Volume{fe3e2aCa-afca-11e9-8293-00d8613863cd}\ADO-PC\Backup Set 2019-06-03-180002\Backup files 1931p" There are of course several backup sets but...
  6. File Backup

File Backup: I am running windows 10 PRO (64). I have two internal drives (each 1 TB solid state - drives C and E) and three external disc drives (G - 2TB, H - 3TB and I - 2TB). I would like to back up all my files/folders on C and E as well as some other folders (like Favorites and...
  7. transfer files

transfer files: Alas, the motherboard died on our windows 7 computer, but the files are still readable. What is the easiest method to transfer files to our new windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files/570031b6-48d1-4bf0-a124-1050f29f86b6"
  8. transfer files

transfer files: Hi I've got a game on my other phone I just need to know how to get it on to my new one Can anyone help it will be greatly appreciated thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files/39e11b3f-83b2-4507-a007-47ac7577dd88"
  9. transfer files

in Windows 10 Customization
    transfer files: I have a pc that will not boot up, black screen, is there any way to transfer my files to a new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/transfer-files/78b496b0-b239-45b6-9932-306da48d8810
  10. backup a file

backup a file: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-a-file/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8