Windows 10: transfering files

Discus and support transfering files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently purchased a new computer that has windows 10. My old computer blew up and I didn't copy any of my files, photos or programs I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Colleen Derringer, Feb 7, 2019.

1. transfering files

Hello,

I recently purchased a new computer that has windows 10. My old computer blew up and I didn't copy any of my files, photos or programs I used on my windows 7.

I installed the set up and all went fine. I started to use my old email and old desktop, only because I had photos and some files and programs I wanted off of my old computer.

Problem was they did not transfer and I want to know how I can get them to my Windows 10 desktop so I can use or find similar to the programs. I also need information off of some files.

Any help, please

Colleen

:)

Colleen Derringer, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Steevo Win User

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, Feb 7, 2019
  3. rss81 Win User
    transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Feb 7, 2019
  4. LonGun Win User

transfering files

Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

transfering files

1. transfering files - Similar Threads - transfering files

2. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart: I do photography and have been using robocopy to maintain large backup drives. This problem has never happened before. Windows 10 Home, fully up-to-date on a new 2020-02 Dell Inspiron. I first noticed the robocopy log display pausing every 4 or 500 files for as much as 30...
  3. Files sizes for photos and videos showing as much larger than actual. Can't open/transfer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files sizes for photos and videos showing as much larger than actual. Can't open/transfer.: How is this possible? I transferred this folder of pictures to my computer from my Samsung S8 and the file size exploded. The files are all JPEGs yet nothing I have including VLC will open the files. I cant transfer them to anything because the file size registers as 65...
  4. File transfer error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File transfer error: Hey,i downloaded the respondus lockdown browser on my windows 10 and when i tried to install it,it showed me the file transfer error ,acces denied messege.The first time i installed it ,i didnt have any problems but than it suddenly crashed and i had to unistall it,but now i...
  5. Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?: My laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) has been my work computer while I’m at college, but since covid broke out, my laptop’s battery failed and I’ve had to transition to using my desktop as my work computer. When I go back to school in the fall, I’ll be taking both my desktop and my...
  6. Winows 10 somehow corrupts files during network transfer.

Winows 10 somehow corrupts files during network transfer.: The situation is following. I have a relatively large zip archive sitting on my network drive. If I copy and extract it locally or try to extract it over the network the archive utility tells me that there are checksum errors. The other symptom is that if I try to get the...
  7. File transfers stop every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File transfers stop every 5 seconds: When I copy a file from my PC (typically the source is a 970 Pro 1TB), to an internal disk on my file server over my 10Gbit network it starts at 1.1GB/s then drops to zero, where it stays for 20-30 seconds, then goes back up to 1.10GB/s for 2-3 seconds, then drops to 0 again....
  8. PLEASE HELP transfering files issue

PLEASE HELP transfering files issue: Hello, I have been working on how to do this for 3 days now and still cant get it done. i am trying to move all my amazon music files off my iPhone 6+ and onto my iTunes account on my laptop running Win 10 Thanks in advance...
  9. File transfers stop every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File transfers stop every 5 seconds: When I copy a file from my PC (typically the source is a 970 Pro 1TB), to an internal disk on my file server over my 10Gbit network it starts at 1.1GB/s then drops to zero, where it stays for 20-30 seconds, then goes back up to 1.10GB/s for 2-3 seconds, then drops to 0 again....
  10. Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?: Everytime I transfer files my speeds are 355kb/s, It used to be 22 mb/s, How can I fix this? submitted by /u/Dupliss18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grwsm0/why_is_my_computers_file_transfer_speed_very_slow/