Windows 10: Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

Discus and support Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheDigitalOne, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do it?

:)

TheDigitalOne, Nov 28, 2018

2. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Yes you'll be able to access your files no problem (from within the OS on the new hard drive). However dont count on it booting from that hard drive. The driver issues will most likely be too much, and it will just blue screen. Theres always a chance it will boot, so try it out, but its going to be a mess uninstalling all the drivers from the previous computer then installing the new ones. It wont be clean, thats for sure. Better to put the old hard drive in the new machine, back up your files to the new hard drive, then reinstall xp on the old hard drive from scratch, if you are able to do that. Ive tried transferring hard drives between computers several times, and most of the time (unless the computers are very similar hardware-wise, i.e. two dells of the same series) they just blue screen. A handful of times though, it has worked, so try it out and see.

As for the external, no it will still have the same effect, as the drivers will kill it (once again, most likely)

Papahyooie, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

Slow internal hard drive transfer rates

Hi,

Please be informed that data transfer rates from hard drive to a computer or to other hard drive depends on several factors like size for data that being transferred; other tasks running in the background; RAM etc. You may install all pending Windows updates.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Also follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter
    on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
    Do let us know the performance of the computer. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

1. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another - Similar Threads - Transfering Hard Drive

2. Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.: So I was going to buy a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply take the hard drive out of my current one and put it into the new one and keep all the files on it. And no the hard drive doesn't have the OS on it, just game files....
  3. Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.: So I was going to buy a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply take the hard drive out of my current one and put it into the new one and keep all the files on it. And no the hard drive doesn't have the OS on it, just game files....
  4. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  5. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  6. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to transfer windows license from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer windows license from one hard drive to another?: I have a registered version of Windows 10 on my secondary hard drive (E) but on my main hard drive (C), I dont. How can I transfer the registration from E to C? submitted by /u/_Pigface [link] [comments]...
  8. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  9. Transfer from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer from one hard drive to another?: I had a 120GB SSD and decided, since I'm running low on space, to upgrade to a 480GB SSD. However, I wanted to use the 120GB for something else now (Linux) and then use the 480GB as the main hard drive. That being said, since my Windows 10 OS (and saved files) is on my 120GB...
  10. transfer one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer one hard drive to another?: How to I transfer One Hard drive to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-one-hard-drive-to-another/0999f86b-9ea6-439b-84b4-e510b8a0e59a"