Windows 10: transfering my installation to an SSD

Discus and support transfering my installation to an SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; so I've been trying to transfer windows 10 to my new SSD (upgrading from hard drive), I tried macrium reflect to clone my drive however that kept... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kodked111, Aug 3, 2020.

1. transfering my installation to an SSD

so I've been trying to transfer windows 10 to my new SSD (upgrading from hard drive), I tried macrium reflect to clone my drive however that kept giving me errors, all of the other cloning software I've seen says it costs money to clone my drive and the free versions only do backups so I'm curious what the best method of actually doing it is, like is there any alternative software I can use that's free and lets me clone my drive, or if there's a better way and I basically just missed it, literally anything to help with the process would be much appreciated

submitted by /u/kodked111
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kodked111, Aug 3, 2020

2. Transfer my OS to SSD?

Hello Juliana,

I’m sorry to say but Microsoft doesn’t provide the option to transfer only OS from HDD to SSD. However I can recommend the workaround. Please do a clean install on SSD. After that SSD will get the active partition. It will also help you to recover your computer
    if it crashes in the future.

Before you start doing a clean installation make sure you have backups of all the important information you have on the PC. After the clean install you will be able to restore your information on the HDD.

Please, follow the steps to do a clean install:

Prepare a USB/DVD. Refer to the support article provided by PaulSey. You can also watch a video on this page

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

After that please refer to the steps provided by PaulSey in his article on How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide to install the Windows 10 on your SSD.

Post me back, if you need further assistance.

Marcel Kuri, Aug 3, 2020
  3. MaGlCMaN Win User
    Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Hey guys. So here's my situation: I have like 200gb worth of files on my current harddrive and I recently bought a 500gb SSD. I'd like to basically clone my Windows install and all of my files onto the new SSD.
    I researched how to do this and learned that a good thing to try is migrating everything over by using a program like Clonezilla or something similar. I tried doing this a while back with a couple different programs and both failed during the transferring process.
    Both programs gave me some kind of error. I can't remember exactly what the error said but basically I don't want to try this method anymore and I have an idea but I'm not sure if it will work.
    Here's my idea:

1. Set my SDD up to where I have 2 partitions on it.
    2. I've read that it is possible to create a "backup image" file of my Windows install somehow, so I can learn how to make one of those.
    3. Place the backup image of Windows that I make onto the first partition of the SSD.
    4. Uninstall / deactivate my current HDD install of Windows and do a fresh install onto the 2nd partition of the SSD.
    5. Restore the backup image file I created and hopefully, voila - I have everything exactly the same again but just on the new SSD.
    If anyone with experience in doing stuff like this could give me their two cents, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

MaGlCMaN, Aug 3, 2020
  4. xpac5896 Win User

transfering my installation to an SSD

Transfer OS from 512 to 1tb SSD

I'm in the process of building a new rig. I would like to transfer the OS from my current 512 SSD to a 1tb SSD. My Os is already linked to my MS account and I printed out the steps about using the troubleshooter after a significant hardware change. The Question is: Can I clone the 512 to the 1tb or does it require a clean install? OS is Win 10 Pro.

xpac5896, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

transfering my installation to an SSD

1. transfering my installation to an SSD - Similar Threads - transfering installation SSD

2. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  3. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  4. ssd to ssd windows transfer

ssd to ssd windows transfer: I have a prebuilt pc, and I want to buy a new ssd and have windows on that, my current ssd that has windows I do not want the other stuff on it or to copy it, I just want windows on my new ssd....
  5. Transfer Windows to SSD

Transfer Windows to SSD: Hello I have a new laptop with 2 disks : 1 HDD GPT disk 930.88 GB partition C ; 99MB EFI System partition ; 529MB Recovery partition and 1 SSD 119.23 GB. The SSD initially came as MBR disk, having a partition with HPfiles, 1 with some system files and 1 unallocated....
  6. Transfer SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer SSD to HDD: Is it possible to transfer all the data from my SSD to my HDD? I've been looking for a way to this, but haven't found a way to do so. submitted by /u/Sl0thZombi3s [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpzv4w/transfer_ssd_to_hdd/
  7. SSD transfer questions

SSD transfer questions: I am new to installing windows. I think I want to move Windows10 to a SSD. The thing is I don't have the budget for a large SSD, and my HDD is 500GB. I'm going to get a 120GB SSD, because my PC is getting slow. As I understand it, right now, the OS, my programs, their data,...
  8. Transferring SSD with Windows 10 installation to new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring SSD with Windows 10 installation to new computer: Hi all, I have my Windows 10 license key tied to my Microsoft account and I'm planning on getting a new desktop. If I move the SSD to the new computer, can I re-activate Windows with my Microsoft account or would it be tied to the motherboard of the old device? Thanks!...
  9. TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD

TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD: i am using a HP Laptop which was purchased 1month ago and has active warranty Details of the laptop is given below Model : HP 15S-DU0094TU SN# CND9244LC0 PRODUCT ID : 7NH61PA Microsoft Windows Product ID : 00327-35847-94668-AAOEM I want to add an extra internal...
  10. Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD: Hey guys. So here's my situation: I have like 200gb worth of files on my current harddrive and I recently bought a 500gb SSD. I'd like to basically clone my Windows install and all of my files onto the new SSD. I researched how to do this and learned that a good thing to try...