Windows 10: Transfering windows 10 to new computer

Discus and support Transfering windows 10 to new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Laptop that has a battery that wont charge and the socket for the power supply is very loose. So I don't use that computer anymore. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Frederick Manke, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:57 PM.

1. Transfering windows 10 to new computer

I have a Toshiba Laptop that has a battery that wont charge and the socket for the power supply is very loose. So I don't use that computer anymore. It had Windows 8 originally and I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. But now I have another computer that has Windows 8 , upgraded to Windows 8.1 So I would like to install Windows 10 and use the digital license from the laptop I am taking out of service.

From all that I have read , you cant do that. But I downloaded windows 10 and was going to try that.

So the question, can I do that and if the install of the download fails can I go back to the Windows 8.1 ?

:)

Frederick Manke, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:57 PM
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

3. New Compute, Windows 10 (upgrade) Activation Transfer

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

Also see if you can reactivate using chat support:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM
  4. rss81 Win User

Transfering windows 10 to new computer

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

Thema:

Transfering windows 10 to new computer

1. Transfering windows 10 to new computer - Similar Threads - Transfering computer

2. transfer audio from Iphone to computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer audio from Iphone to computer: i need help on how to transfer audio material from my Iphone to my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-audio-from-iphone-to-computer/6d053247-da9a-4fdc-8550-528dcb38509f
  3. How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?: I run Windows 10 Pro on a Mac Mini in bootcamp - thus it obviously wasn't bundled. I think I purchased a Win 8.1 licence years ago and later upgraded to Windows 10 Pro but I can't remember the details. Is there any way to see if my current licence can be removed from my...
  4. Windows and Office transfer from old computer to new computer

Windows and Office transfer from old computer to new computer: Dear Team, We want to confirm is it possible to shift windows 10 and Office 2016 transfer from old computer to new computer. Regards, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-office-transfer-from-old-computer-to/961f28f8-c642-479e-bf78-d8e42b90447b"
  5. Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer: Recently purchased a new computer, moved my old 4 TB hard drive from my Windows 7 PC over to the new Win10 computer. New computer reads the first 2 TB partition on the hard drive fine, but the other 2 TB partition is missing on my This PC page and when I check the drive in...
  6. Transferring SSD with Windows 10 installation to new computer

Transferring SSD with Windows 10 installation to new computer: Hi all, I have my Windows 10 license key tied to my Microsoft account and I'm planning on getting a new desktop. If I move the SSD to the new computer, can I re-activate Windows with my Microsoft account or would it be tied to the motherboard of the old device? Thanks!...
  7. Transfer Windows 10 Pro to another computer, restore Windows 10 on original device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro to another computer, restore Windows 10 on original device: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (paid $199) on my current laptop. I'm buying a new computer and will need to transfer the Pro license to the new computer and restore Windows 10 on the current laptop. I don't remember if it came with Windows 10, or if I had to update to 10 (free)...
  8. Windows 10 transfer from broken computer.

Windows 10 transfer from broken computer.: I upgraded to a retail version of windows 7 from vista and then upgraded to windows 10 for free. The computer that received these upgrades stopped working last year and I do not have the product key. I finally got a new one and tried to activate windows digitally but could...
  9. transfer windows and office to another computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows and office to another computer: Hi My surface 3 tablet broke and cannot be used. I would like to transfer the Windows 10 PRO and the Office 2013 installations from it to another computer (ASUS laptop). can this be done and how? note that the original computer is inaccessible...
  10. planning to rebuild my wife's computer. can i transfer her windows 10 to the new...

planning to rebuild my wife's computer. can i transfer her windows 10 to the new...: Old machine was updated to Windows 10, but the board and cpu are old, so wanting to change them out. will be keeping the drive. Can I do this? As I recall, the update was from Windows 7 when she got 10 downloaded....