Windows 10: Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change

Discus and support Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to transfer a windows 10 education key that was provided by my university from a computer that no longer works to a new computer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HaleyM_605, May 2, 2020.

1. Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change

Hello, I am trying to transfer a windows 10 education key that was provided by my university from a computer that no longer works to a new computer I am now using, and have a fresh install of win10 education on. I have pulled that key off of the original hard drive it was on, however when I attempted to enter that key into the new computer it gives me this error :

"We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select troubleshoot. Error code: 0x803Fa067."

When I run the troubleshooter and select "I changed my hardware on this device recently" it only lists my previous computer, and does not give me the option to choose my new device. It says "if you are not seeing your device, then you must be signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this account. "

However, I am logged into my Microsoft account, and when I check here :

https://account.microsoft.com/devices?fref=home.banner.devices

I can see all devices connected to that account including my new current computer and my old computer.

What is happening?? How can I activate my new computer?

:)

HaleyM_605, May 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 2, 2020
  3. DavidY Win User
    Is the free upgarde transferable? I think not.

Hi Kari,
    Can you confirm that the computer at step 5 (I numbered your list *Wink ) had never had an activated Insider build (especially not 10240)?

I'm wondering if it was possible that the second machine activated because the activation servers recognised the hardware from an earlier activation, and not because of the method you used to transfer?

DavidY, May 2, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change

1. Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change - Similar Threads - Transfering Key Hardware

2. Why can't I transfer my activation key after hardware change?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I transfer my activation key after hardware change?: I know this has been asked much, but I followed all methods suggested and nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation . It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm...
  3. Why can't I transfer my activation key after hardware change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I transfer my activation key after hardware change?: I know this has been asked much, but I followed all methods suggested and nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation . It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm...
  4. reactivating windows key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  5. reactivating windows key after hardware change

reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  6. Windows license key not activating after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license key not activating after hardware change: Laptop user here. My old windows license key is not activating after installing windows on a different SSD. I have backup of previous license key, but it is not working now.My Microsoft account is showing 2 version of the same devicess attached.I tried all the methods shown...
  7. Windows license key not activating after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows license key not activating after hardware change: Laptop user here. My old windows license key is not activating after installing windows on a different SSD. I have backup of previous license key, but it is not working now.My Microsoft account is showing 2 version of the same devicess attached.I tried all the methods shown...
  8. Windows license key not activating after hardware change

9. Transferring Windows Digital License after significant hardware change

Transferring Windows Digital License after significant hardware change: I've significantly upgraded my PC (new motherboard, storage), to the point where Windows 10 doesn't recognise it as the device I had my Windows 10 digital license on. When I go to settings - activation, I get error code 0xc004f213 which states no product key was found on this...
  10. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...