Windows 10: Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files

Discus and support Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I bought a new computer and I'm trying to get Windows Media Player to use my playlists from the old computer, but it's being a giant pain in the tuckus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BionicDance, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files

I bought a new computer and I'm trying to get Windows Media Player to use my playlists from the old computer, but it's being a giant pain in the tuckus about it.It claims to not be able to find a ton of files that are absolutely there. And they're in the same folder on this computer as they are on the old one.WMP can't find them, and these are long, long playlists, multiple hours. The amount of work it would take to replace those "missing" tracks with the MP3s that really are there is prohibitive at best. And, of course, there are no handy tools to tell WMP to go lookin'. I have other programs

:)

BionicDance, Jan 27, 2023
  2. Sasha100 Win User

WMP Will Not Save Playlist

I have a new computer with Win 10 Home installed. I am trying to use WMP and create some music playlists. When I create a list of songs and try to save them as a playlist I get a pop-up that says: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the playlist". I have clicked on "Web Help" in the pop-up box and tried all the suggested solutions, but none of them have solved the problem. Can you please help.

Sasha100, Jan 27, 2023
  3. Sasha100 Win User
    WMP Will Not Save Playlist

Update: I have done a few things since posting:
    1. I have shut off WMP by going to Control Panel, typing in "windows features', finding WMP and 'unchecked' the box. Then 'restarted' my computer. Then I went back to Control Panel (as before) and 'checked' the WMP box. I was lead to believe that this would reset WMP, but it did not work.

2. As stated in my original post: I clicked on "Web Help" that is part of the pop-up that says 'Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the playlist'. I followed the suggested solutions (2) but that did not work either.

3. This problem occurs if I put in music files on the right hand side of WMP and try to save to a playlist by using the 'save' button, OR trying to 'create' a playlist on the left hand side of WMP.

Thanks for any help!

Sasha100, Jan 27, 2023
  4. Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files

WMP playlists are a mess

Between those two steps, delete them all out of the WMP view so that only the ones you have in the file folder are imported and are only listed once.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 27, 2023
Thema:

Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files

1. Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files - Similar Threads - Transferred WMP Playlists

2. Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...: Someone brought me two laptops. The old one had Win 10 with a HDD. The new one had Win 11 and an m.2 drive. Both laptops were set up with the same Microsoft user account. This person wanted their personal data transferred from the old laptop to the new. I took the HDD out of...
  3. Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...: Someone brought me two laptops. The old one had Win 10 with a HDD. The new one had Win 11 and an m.2 drive. Both laptops were set up with the same Microsoft user account. This person wanted their personal data transferred from the old laptop to the new. I took the HDD out of...
  4. Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files

Transferred WMP Playlists from old computer; now it can't find half the files: I bought a new computer and I'm trying to get Windows Media Player to use my playlists from the old computer, but it's being a giant pain in the tuckus about it.It claims to not be able to find a ton of files that are absolutely there. And they're in the same folder on this...
  5. Can't Find Files Transferred from old Windows 7 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Find Files Transferred from old Windows 7 computer: Split from this thread. I have a new computer with Windows 10 and I have tried to transfer the data from my old windows 7 computer and I can not find the files on the new computer....
  6. File transfer from old to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File transfer from old to new computer: How do you easily transfer files from an old computer to new computer in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-from-old-to-new-computer/d2deafdb-e993-4441-b34c-612ae5d2e329
  7. Transfer Files from old to new computer

Transfer Files from old to new computer: How can I transfer files from my external hard drive to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files-from-old-to-new-computer/d3888df2-0288-4252-89c8-13c74ec0d862"
  8. transfer files from old computer to new

transfer files from old computer to new: transfer files from old computer to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f49e2618-aa29-457b-b562-ff7d6117fbaa"
  9. Transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer: How do I transfer files, folders, and settings from an old computer to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/transfer-files-and-settings-from-an-old-computer/facae362-357b-4611-ac5f-9282d0a8f75e
  10. WMP Will Not Save Playlist

WMP Will Not Save Playlist: I have a new computer with Win 10 Home installed. I am trying to use WMP and create some music playlists. When I create a list of songs and try to save them as a playlist I get a pop-up that says: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the...