Windows 10: Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store

Discus and support Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Home Retail product key purchased through NewEgg which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store which I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by macsforme-[xboxvenue], Jun 14, 2021.

1. Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store

I have a Windows 10 Home Retail product key purchased through NewEgg which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store which I want to transfer to a new machine including the Pro upgrade. I read several posts here which suggest there is no problem doing this and there shouldn't be. I installed Windows 10 Home first on the new machine, and I activated it using my Home edition product key the one that had been upgraded to Pro. That worked just fine, but when I logged in to the Microsoft Store following the instructions from Microsoft, there was no option to upgrade to

:)

macsforme-[xboxvenue], Jun 14, 2021
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jun 14, 2021
  3. trparky Win User
    Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Jun 14, 2021
  4. pcuaron Win User

Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store

Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Thanks for all the replies! I'm operating under these assumptions: HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows - Windows 10 Forums by which the licence in question would be transferable.

I don't have the install disk because I bought the .iso. I do have the original MSFT emails with the product keys. But I think NavyLCDR is right, I'll try first to upgrade using the Windows 8 product key. Then I'll contact MSFT. If that fails, I'll try with NavyLCDR's second suggestion. If everything else fails, I think I'm gonna use sinful activation methods. I don't feel like paying again for a full licence.

S

pcuaron, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store

1. Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store - Similar Threads - Transferring Home Retail

2. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  3. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  4. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  5. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  6. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

7. Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store

Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store: I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. It had a free upgrade to Windows 11 Home. I installed that last night and confirmed that it was installed through the settings page. Tonight, I upgraded from Windows 11 home to Windows 11 Pro through the...
  8. Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability

Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability: Hello, I purchased an upgrade license from Home to Pro on my laptop. I recently purchased a new laptop that also came with Windows Home. Am I able to transfer the upgrade license from previous laptop to this new laptop? Thank you in advance for your help!...
  9. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license: Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10...