Windows 10: Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Discus and support Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by a gtx 2080, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for me. I had bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3200 that had Windows 10 pre-installed. I've heard that you can't transfer a key from a computer that had Windows 10 pre-installed on it and that you can only transfer one that was a retail key. Will I be able to transfer it to my new computer if I uninstall it from my laptop, or do I have to purchase a new key?

:)

a gtx 2080, Dec 16, 2019
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 16, 2019
  3. Rob4642 Win User
    Need help with transferring Windows 10 to new PC

*Nevermind I figured it out. I just bought a license key for $29.00. Thx though.
    So my friend asked me to build him a new computer for work. The last one I built him was during the windows 7-10 upgrade grace period. I used to load windows 7, use windows loader to put in a product key, activate it, then upgrade to windows 10. Now that the grace period is over, and I'm working with new hardware, I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 10 from an already functioning computer that operated on a sata SSD to a new computer with an m.2 nvme SSD, using just the product key from the current windows 10 off of his computer. I use a program that grabs the product key called ProduKey.
    Should I do a fresh install of windows 10 using his key after deactivating it from his current PC , instead of cloning drives correct? It would be nice not to have to pay microsoft $200 for windows 10 if he already has it and plans on not using his old pc anymore.

Rob4642, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

1. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer - Similar Threads - Transferring Product Key

2. Windows 10 Product Key Transfer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Product Key Transfer: So, I have bought a Windows 10 Pro Retail Copy from Amazon a year ago. The product key is registered to my old laptop. I am planning of discarding it. Is there a way to transfer the product key to my new laptop? If so, please explain me the process. submitted by...
  3. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  4. Transferring product keys to new computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. Transfer Windows 10 product key to another computer

Transfer Windows 10 product key to another computer: Mother board of my laptop is not working. I want to buy a new laptop without OS and want to transfer my existing Windows 10 product code to that laptop. The problem is, I cannot reach the product code as the computer is not working. I can remove the HDD, connect it as an...
  6. Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.

Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.: I recently purchased a PC OEM version from Dell. I have an older computer that I am gifting to my stepdaughter. This computer was home built so I did purchase a product key for it. The problems I am facing are: 1. Can I reformat and user her email address to activate it? 2....
  7. Windows 10 Product Key Transferring

Windows 10 Product Key Transferring: Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well. I came here to ask if I can reuse a windows 10 product key I got when purchasing my laptop and use it with a new pc. If not, when I search "windows software key" the top results for buying them are $20, $35, and some for $10....
  8. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key: I had to get a new computer since my laptop is unusable, my hard drives still functioned except for the small ssd that had my OS. The drive had to be wiped and reformatted. Is there anyway to get the activation key of windows 10 I had but on this computer? I am heading to...
  9. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  10. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transferring product key digial key

2. windows 10 pro 1909 generic update key windowsproductkey