Windows 10: Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Discus and support Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidCounter1, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a hypervisor on a server that I have put together? The initial machine will be re-purposed to run another OS, and I want to retain the Win 10 Education edition as I am finishing off my Masters.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

:)

DavidCounter1, Apr 29, 2019
  2. Robert_os Win User

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Microsoft allows unlimited machine-to-machine transfers of Windows Vista

On October 16th, Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to limit the amount of times users transferred their Windows Vista license. There was a humongous outcry from computer hobbyists, and Microsoft has officially decided to let users transfer their copy of Windows Vista from one machine to another as many times as they like. This is of course assuming that the copy of Windows Vista is genuine, and that the said copy of Windows Vista is no longer on the machine Windows Vista was transferred from. Microsoft will not change any other components of their license, which includes a limit on running Windows Vista in a virtual machine.

Source: CNET

zekrahminator, Apr 29, 2019
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Windows 10 Virtual Machine

For the purposes of product activation, a virtual machine is the same as a physical computer.

Are you upgrading your virtual machine from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1? If your virtual machine is not presently running one of those operating systems, you have to buy a license for Windows 10.

BulldogXX, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

1. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine - Similar Threads - Transferring license physical

2. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  3. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  4. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  6. license for virtual machine

license for virtual machine: I have a laptop with windows 10 pro installed/licensedI want to test some setups with docker, but do not want to break my private install/setup as I also use vmware and this is not compatible with dockerI downloaded the windows evaluation version virtual machine for vmware...
  7. Transferring VM license to Non-Virtual Machine?

Transferring VM license to Non-Virtual Machine?: I have a VM set up on Linux with an activated install of Windows on it. If I decided to get rid of the VM on this computer and simply install Windows bare metal, would I be able to use the same license I bought for the VM since its the same computer physically or would it...
  8. License For A Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License For A Virtual Machine: I need to purchase a key not a digital license for windows 10 for using in a virtual machine, naturally i used the windows 7 key i had on the host i originally upgraded to windows 10, this will not activate, and im sure they dont allow this, i dont mind doing this the legal...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine

Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine: Hello I've just built a server and set up a KVM hypervisor on it, and now I want to transfer a little-used mini PC with a Window 10 license to a VM. What implications are there? Can I just virtualize the machine and continue with the VM, since I have a licensed copy of...
  10. Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine: Hi, I've searched and can't seem to find an answer for this: is it possible to move a virtual machine in Oracle's VirtualBox to a physical machine? Thanks 88840