Windows 10: Transferring a Windows License

Discus and support Transferring a Windows License in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ok, my old Lenovo broke recently (motherboard issue I think) and I am planning on pulling out the HDD and slottinog it in to a new laptop once I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PatrickThomas7, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Transferring a Windows License

Ok, my old Lenovo broke recently (motherboard issue I think) and I am planning on pulling out the HDD and slottinog it in to a new laptop once I purchase one. My question pertains to my windows license. I previously purchased Windows 8.1 and therfore own a license for it, which I upgraded to Windows 10 when the free upgrade came out.

From what I read online, it is possible to transfer a windows license from one laptop to another, provided it is only activated on one, meaning it first has to be uninstalled or removed from, in my case the broken laptop, and then added and activated on the new one. Unfortunately I cannot get on to my old laptop to format it or uninstall it.

However, when installing Windows on my new laptop, I can click "I don't have a licence" and then connect the new laptop to my Microsoft Account at a later date and dowload the license number from my account to activate Windows.

On my Microsoft profile at the moment, I have one laptop listed, which is the broken one. If I remove this device and therefore have no devices listed, once I have my new one, could I install Windows, click "I don't have a licence" and then log in to my account and add my new laptop, bringing me back to a total of one and transfer my license this way?

Thanks

Patrick

:)

PatrickThomas7, Jul 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 license transfer

Thanks Andre.

i bought the license. My laptop was originally loaded with win 7 and was upgraded free couple of months.

in this case, if i understand you correctly, i can transfer with below steps. Right.?

let me buy my new laptop and try below.

and to my question do you have an update.

does OS upgrades if my activation key is changed.

thanks

sai

SainandhanKandasamy, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Transferring a Windows License

Windows 10 license transfer

There is no actual deactivation method.

You can only transfer the license if its a retail license. If it came with the laptop you can't transfer it.

You can first uninstall the key.

Open Start, type: cmd

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:

slmgr -upk

Hit Enter

Next, proceed to upgrade the new laptop:

You might need to reactivate by chat support since the license was previously in use.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

Transferring a Windows License

1. Transferring a Windows License - Similar Threads - Transferring License

2. Transfer laptop and account, windows license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer laptop and account, windows license: Hello, I want to sell my laptop. Previously, I have bought this laptop with windows 8.1 preinstalled, and it is linked to my Microsoft account. After that, I upgraded to windows 10 (free). Now I want to transfer the windows 10 license to a new owner while I still control...
  3. Accidentally installed win 10 pro, can't transfer my old home license. What to do?

Accidentally installed win 10 pro, can't transfer my old home license. What to do?: How do I activate my windows. I don't mind downgrading to home release, but would like to get rid of the activate windows prompt, especially since I own a license....
  4. After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.

After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.: Hi I upgraded a desktop I built a few years ago with a new mainboard/processor and ram. Its been running windows 10 pro for years, I don't remember where I bought the key from. Possibly Newegg, TigerDirect, Fry's, BestBuy ect ect. I thought the upgrade would be simple as I...
  5. Transferring W10 Pro license to me?

Transferring W10 Pro license to me?: Hello, My neighbor passed away recently. His family gave me his pc which is running Windows 10 Pro installed on a refurb pc. I own a pc with Win 10 Home OEM. Is there a way for me to transfer the product key & license to myself and upgrade my pc to W10 Pro? Thanks,...
  6. Transferring Windows 10 License to a different computer

Transferring Windows 10 License to a different computer: Hello, I have recently built myself a desktop PC, after spending the last 10-11 years using only laptops. While my last laptop came with Windows Home pre-installed and activated I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and bought a digital license for it in the Microsoft Store. It...
  7. Transfer Windows 10 Windows Store Purchased License?

Transfer Windows 10 Windows Store Purchased License?: I am stumped. I have tried everything and cannot seem to transfer my Window 10 Home license from one machine to another. I am now stuck with 1 machine that needs activation and the other has been formatted...I seems Microsoft keeps steering me to purchase a new license, why??...
  8. How do I delete microsoft account and transfer digital upgrade license to a brand new account?

How do I delete microsoft account and transfer digital upgrade license to a brand new account?: I am entangled in identity theft and the Microsoft account have used for 20 years is impossible to defend. I would like to start with a completely new account with never before used security options. If I make changes I can be trailed too easily. However I do not want to...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 license from laptop to desktop

Transfer Windows 10 license from laptop to desktop: I have joined Windows Insider program and got a free Windows 10 Pro license. Everytime I reinstall Windows 10 Pro OS on my laptop it's will be activated automatically. I wonder that license is OEM or retail channel? I just bought a new desktop (not laptop), I would like to...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home Digital License to New PC: I received my original PC with a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium that had a product key and when prompted about the free upgrade to Windows 10, I did so (which in turn linked my Microsoft account and License so now I have a digital license of Windows 10 Home) and...