Windows 10: Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

Discus and support Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm passing down my old PC running an activated Windows 10 Pro to my younger sibling. I'd like her to be able to use the PC with her own Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Joshuadel Rosario1, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

I'm passing down my old PC running an activated Windows 10 Pro to my younger sibling. I'd like her to be able to use the PC with her own Microsoft account whilst still being activated; I'm also planning to do a fresh Windows 10 pro installation for her. I got my activation key from a legitimate 3rd party seller, so I'm guessing that's why my licenses aren't showing up in my Microsoft account order history. Hope someone can help me out with this

:)

Joshuadel Rosario1, Jul 4, 2022
  2. Kari Win User

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

Kari, Jul 4, 2022
  3. How do I manage the link between a Windows 10 license and a Microsoft account?

This is an answer to your first question: See which Microsoft account the license is linked to.

There is no direct way to show to which account a digital license is bound to. The account device list of the Microsoft account cannot be trusted: If I add another (non admin) user with a Microsoft account to my machine, the name of the computer will be added in the device list of the new account, too. Certainly, the digital license of my computer is still bound to my (admin) account and not to the new user.

Therfore you have to check the list of digital licenses in every Microsoft account you own.

The only method I know to list digital licenses bound to a Microsoft account is to try to transfer them to a new, "unknown" hardware. "Unknown" means, that on this hardware Windows 10 has not been installed before. "Try" means just to begin the transfer process until the last step and not to finish the activation process.

This new, "unknown" hardware can be a real hardware (new mainboard) or a virtual hardware (e.g. VMware virtual machine). It's important to note that the fingerprint of this hardware shall not exist in the database of Micrsoft's activation servers. Otherwise the hardware will be activated automatically and you won't get a chance to transfer a different digital license to it because it already has a digital license. The transfer process won't get offered.

My method for Windows 10 b1607 is as follows:

• Create a new virtual machine (VM)
    • Install Windows 10 without any product key (the edition does not matter, Home or Pro, x86 or x64)
    • Try to activate the VM
    • Enter the windows activation dialog where it is possible to transfer your digital licenses to this VM ("Troubleshoot", "I changed hardware on this device recently")
    • Enter your Microsoft account credentials of the account which you want to check
    • Now you get a list ("Reactivate Windows", "Select this device from below") of devices which are bound to your Microsoft account and which have a digital license and which are in the same "device class" as your current device (the VM). This device list is the first part of the whole list of digital licenses of the account. "Device classes" are e. g. laptops, standalone PCs or virtual machines. In my opinion virtual machines are separated in different device classes, too (VMware, Oracle, etc.)
    • To see the second part of the list of your digital licenses you have to list all devices which do not match the current VM, i.e. which belong to a different device class. Click on the link at the bottom of this page: "See other devices linked to your Microsoft account". Now you get the second part of the list of your digital licenses which belong to devices that cannot be transferred ("Device type does not match", Edition does not match")

This whole process seems to be reliable in respect to list my own digital licenses which I bound to different Microsoft accounts. However, some devices of the second list ("We can't reactivate Windows from these devices" ) migrated after some days to the first list ("devices which can be activated"). But this does not matter as the device entries stay the same.

And of course there is no guarantee that devices which are shown in the first list can be reactivated with the device with which you are currently checking the license. E.g. when I check with my virtual machine I also get some digital licenses in the first list which belong to a different device class (e.g. standalone PC). I am sure that a transfer from a license like this to a VM would not work in reality.

Thorsten Albrecht, Jul 4, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

Identifying PC's from Digital Activation in microsoft account

You will not need the product key to transfer a license. You have done it correctly by using a Microsoft account to register your digital licenses. it makes the transfer easy.

When you have replaced the motherboard and boot the PC in its deactivated state, check the computer name. It has remained unchanged, being the same it was before motherboard was replaced. When you know the PC name, select I recently changed hardware on this device:

Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account [​IMG]

Sign in with your MS account. You will get a list of your registered devices. Select the same PC from the list, click Activate and continue following on-screen instructions:

Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account [​IMG]

Tutorial: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

In my case, I have never had any issues to do this. Only information you will need is the name of the PC to transfer its license to new hardware setup.

Kari, Jul 4, 2022
Thema:

Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

1. Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Transferring activation license

2. Transfer Windows license to another account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows license to another account: Recently I bought a new PC, installed a fresh windows and as you'd expect, windows isn't activated. However, I purchased Windows 11 Home from the store as a digital purchase to activate my account.My question is this. I would like to transfer that license I purchased to...
  3. Transfer Windows license to another account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows license to another account: Recently I bought a new PC, installed a fresh windows and as you'd expect, windows isn't activated. However, I purchased Windows 11 Home from the store as a digital purchase to activate my account.My question is this. I would like to transfer that license I purchased to...
  4. Transfer digital license to another account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer digital license to another account: Hey there!I thank you in advance for reading this.I've given my current laptop to another person, but I want it to preserve my digital license. I don't want my account linked to this laptop anymore, so I would like to transfer this license to the new holder account. Is it...
  5. Transfer digital license to another account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer digital license to another account: Hey there!I thank you in advance for reading this.I've given my current laptop to another person, but I want it to preserve my digital license. I don't want my account linked to this laptop anymore, so I would like to transfer this license to the new holder account. Is it...
  6. Transfer digital license to another account

7. Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account: I'm passing down my old PC running an activated Windows 10 Pro to my younger sibling. I'd like her to be able to use the PC with her own Microsoft account whilst still being activated; I'm also planning to do a fresh Windows 10 pro installation for her. I got my activation...
  8. Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account

Transferring activation license to another Microsoft account: I'm passing down my old PC running an activated Windows 10 Pro to my younger sibling. I'd like her to be able to use the PC with her own Microsoft account whilst still being activated; I'm also planning to do a fresh Windows 10 pro installation for her. I got my activation...
  9. Digital license transfer to another account

Digital license transfer to another account: Hey, I want to change the Microsoft account linked with my PC. However, I am uncertain if by doing so my digital license will be transferred to the new account. I have ensured that the older account is signed out from my device. I was also observing the activation page which...
  10. Transfer license to another account

Transfer license to another account: I have OEM Windows 10 on my laptop, Digital License is attached to my Microsoft Account. Is it possible to transfer the license to another account, the license will be use on the same machine. (Note:I intend to sell my laptop to another people.)...