Windows 10: Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ??

Discus and support Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ?? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have about 6TB of data stored on 2 ancient D-Link DNS323 Nas boxes. Each Nas has 2x HDD's in JBOD configuration using EXT4. I'm building a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ca1ibos, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ??

I have about 6TB of data stored on 2 ancient D-Link DNS323 Nas boxes. Each Nas has 2x HDD's in JBOD configuration using EXT4.

I'm building a Windows 10 based Media Server probably with Stablebit Drivepool and Snapraid. The problem is that file transfers on these ancient DNS323's can be painfully slow most of the time and experience has taught me I'm looking at a couple of days to get the data across when the time comes, whereas if I can plug the drives straight into the new Win10 Media server with Sata, I can get the data across in 3 or 4 hours meaning it can be done overnight and not interupt anyones viewing habits. (Our 2 households with 6 adult family members nextdoor to each other access all our Blu-Ray Movie and TV Show rips with 6x dinky little Odroid N2 CoreElec KODI boxes viewed on/in an assortment of 4K TV's, older 720p Plasma TV's, 1080p Projectors and VR Virtual Cinemas)

I read something about Linux support in the latest Windows10 June update and am wondering if Windows10 now has the built in ability to read the EXT4 formatted drives or if I need a third party program like the old EXT2fsd program that google just told me about?

submitted by /u/ca1ibos
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ca1ibos, Jun 17, 2020
  2. mikel33 Win User

USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ??

Quick ways to transfer large data files to another pc

Either network or connecting the laptop drive to your PC as suggested above. With only 20GB of data the performance difference isn't that relevant.

DanTheBanjoman, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ??

1. Transferring Data off EXT4 formatted drives on a Win10 PC ?? - Similar Threads - Transferring Data off

2. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading an EXT4 formatted usb: I have a EXT4 formatted from Kubuntu usb drive and Windows 11 fails to read it. Have read quite a few articles and attempted to install/use WSL2 to mount the usb, but no go.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎16/‎01/‎2023OS build 19045.2846Experience Windows...
  3. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading an EXT4 formatted usb: I have a EXT4 formatted from Kubuntu usb drive and Windows 11 fails to read it. Have read quite a few articles and attempted to install/use WSL2 to mount the usb, but no go.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎16/‎01/‎2023OS build 19045.2846Experience Windows...
  4. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  6. Format C Drive To Save Data

Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  7. Transferred old drive to new PC, must I format it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transferred old drive to new PC, must I format it.: Hi, I moved an old hard drive to my new PC. My new PC came with windows 10 Pro and is 64bit, the old one had windows 10 home and was 32 bit. I just want to know, is it best to reformat the old disk as I won't need the windows version on that and can I also get rid of the...
  8. software to recover data off a formatted drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    software to recover data off a formatted drive?: pretty much the title, any (ideally free) software that can recover data off a drive that has been formatted? I don't need to recover any data, I just want to see how effective a particular format was on making it impossible/unreasonable to do so. thanks! submitted by...
  9. Data Transfer Win7 to Win10

Data Transfer Win7 to Win10: What options do I have for multiple PCs to transfer data from PC to PC? PC Mover is not an option for licensing multiple PCs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-transfer-win7-to-win10/4b17bd7b-981e-4e67-b11a-240ad288aff4"
  10. Any official way to transfer data from a WIN10 PC to a different WIN10

in Windows 10 Support
    Any official way to transfer data from a WIN10 PC to a different WIN10: Howdy, I don't need to migrate apps. I just need to migrate data and settings if possible. Is there an automated way like the old Easy Transfer program where I can run a program one the Old and New computers and jsut have it go through and copy all the docs, picture,...