Windows 10: Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys

Discus and support Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, About 2-3 years ago we bought a Surface laptop. The laptop came with a Win 10 Pro digital license linked to the device. It is not in use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AleksanderKurgan, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys

Hi there,

About 2-3 years ago we bought a Surface laptop. The laptop came with a Win 10 Pro digital license linked to the device. It is not in use anymore and I was wondering where you can find this license and if it is possible to transfer it to a different device like a new PC I am currently building.

Thank you,
    Anonymous

:)

AleksanderKurgan, Feb 18, 2021
  2. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 Digital License Transfer

1) You cannot transfer digital licence without using MS account if original key is not retail. If original key is retail, you can just use it to activate new pc.

Your windows 7 key should still be valid if retail.

Your legal obligation is to wipe windows from old pc if you reinstall on new pc and transfer licence (either by reusing retail key or doing a digital licence transfer if linked to MS account).

The fact old pc might activate automatically if new owner installs windows is not your problem provided you did not indicate it will activate automatically.

cereberus, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    key points of Tutorial "Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital "

Yes.

Yes. Signing in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, the password is always that of Microsoft account.

Yes. Digital license of a Windows 10 PC can only be attached to one MS account at any given time.

Yes.

Please notice that license transfer and management can be confusing if you do not use descriptive computer names.

By default Windows names a PC with DESKTOP-XXXXXXX where XXXXXXX is a random 7 character alphanumeric string. Naming your PC before assigning license to a Microsoft account helps you to identify your computers and digital licenses when transferring licenses.

Here's how to name a PC when installing Windows 10:

(Video from thread Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! Solved - Windows 10 Forums)

To give a descriptive name later, see this tutorial: Change Computer Name in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

4. NavyLCDR Win User

Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys

Digital license key

What do you mean by digital license "key"? I've heard of a digital license for Windows 10, and I've heard of a Product Key for Windows 10, but I've never heard of a digital license key.

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys

1. Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys - Similar Threads - Transferring Digital Microsoft

2. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  3. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  4. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer digital license to product key

Transfer digital license to product key: Is there a way for me to do this without calling microsoft support for a remote assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-digital-license-to-product-key/14313ea7-9863-4bc5-bb90-c49b8c27022b
  6. Transferring digital licence to another microsoft account

Transferring digital licence to another microsoft account: I bought a new laptop yesterday. The seller installed windows 10 I bought the license in the shop. However, they used my mother's details and created a new microsoft account, while I was out and I didn't know that now windows requires microsoft account during first setup. I...
  7. Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account: I have an almost 8 Year old laptop that originally didn't come with an OS. So, I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and purchased a digital license seperately. The 3rd Gen i3 Processor still somewhat holds up and can do all the basic tasks (including playing videos in 4K without...
  8. Digital key transfer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Digital key transfer: I've have an activated windows 10 pro with a digital key linked to my microsoft account on my pc, i got myself a new laptop, i don't use that pc anymore, so can i transfer the digital key from my pc to laptop? If yes then please tell me step by step procedure? submitted by...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Digital Activation Key

Transfer Windows 10 Digital Activation Key: Hello, I have recently downloaded and activated Windows 10 Version 1809 with a digital activation key. I have since found that the industrial software that I am trying to install has a requirement of Windows 10 Version 1703. If I try to install the software on Version...
  10. Transfer digital license purchased in Microsoft Store

Transfer digital license purchased in Microsoft Store: Hello everyone, I've a Desktop (PC1) pre-installed with Win8, so it should be an OEM license which I later upgrade to Win10 Home edition. Last year I purchased Win10 Pro upgrade from Microsoft Store to upgrade PC1 to Pro edition so I can access remotely by RDP. As my...