Windows 10: Transferring existing programmes to new laptop

Discus and support Transferring existing programmes to new laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Apologies if this has been covered before, but search only popped up one other close thread: Situation: Ageing W7Pro OEM laptop upgraded to W10Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikephillips, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Transferring existing programmes to new laptop

Apologies if this has been covered before, but search only popped up one other close thread:

Situation: Ageing W7Pro OEM laptop upgraded to W10Pro 2004 (now slowing badly with age, like me) - wish to buy new sparkling toy.
    Object: Would like to 'carry' all installed progs to new machine without having to re-install them
    Plan: Buy Full retail W10 Pro. Install on new lappie.

Now the questions: There are programmes around which claim to transfer stuff, like 'Easeus PCTrans'. Does it work?

Can I 'do it myself' by:-
    a) Cloning Drive and transferring to new OR
    b) Copy Registry, Progs folders and Prog data to new (plus tidying up 'Destop and other personalisations) OR
    is there more dark secret stuff involved about which I have no idea? I assume I will have driver issues but I hope I can work through those.

:)

mikephillips, Aug 14, 2020

2. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 14, 2020
  3. New windows opening behind existing windows in same programmes in Windows 10

Hi Pamela,

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• With which programme you are facing this issue? Is the issue specific to the program?

• When you say ''opens new windows behind each other even in the same programme'' do you refer to the same program it get open on the Windows background or Windows explorer?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reboot the computer and try fixing the issue.

It would refresh all the Application and Programs on windows 10, and helps you in accessing the apps and Programme without any issues.

Method 2:

I suggest you to Check for latest Windows 10 build and also check if for the pending updates and install them in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates and install the pending updates.

• Click on start button, Select
      Settings option

• Under Update and Security page, click on
      windows Updates.

• Check the box for Windows update, which says Check online for
      Updates from Microsoft Update.

Reference:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update

Method 3: Reset Windows Explorer.

• Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and locate for
        Windows Explorer.

• Right click on the Windows Explorer and click on
        End task.

• On top of the Task Manager click on
        File
        and click on Run new task.

• Type explorer.exe inside the box and hit Enter.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Transferring existing programmes to new laptop

Where are my programmes listed using Windows 10

I have just bought a new laptop with windows 10 and have downloaded various programmes. Where are they ?!

I can't find a list of them anywhere. They are not added to those daft boxes on the front screen and they are not in the list when I click on the Start button, just some are listed but not many and in an order I don't like, last purchased then frequently
    used (not) and who wants 'suggestion for paid programmes' ?)

Thx in advance

RosemaryAllan, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Transferring existing programmes to new laptop

1. Transferring existing programmes to new laptop - Similar Threads - Transferring existing programmes

2. Transfer digital license to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer digital license to new laptop: Hi, I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. I have a digital license for Windows 10 pro on an old PC. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the new laptop - either Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. How do I transfer the digital License?Thank you!!...
  3. Transferring Windows Key to New laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows Key to New laptop: I have on old Laptop that came with a Windows Home Key. I later upgraded to pro with a product key. Now I have bought another laptop with a home key. Now I want to transfer the pro key to the new laptop and go back to Home version on my older laptop. I cannot downgrade to the...
  4. Transfer from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer from old to new laptop: Not sure this is the right forum for this but if not please point me in the right direction. I currently have an 8 year old laptop running Win 10 Pro x 64 and MS Office 2013. It is not capable of running Win 11 when it is released.I am considering the purchase of a new laptop...
  5. Laptop Outlook - Transfer to a New Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Outlook - Transfer to a New Laptop: Something went wrong with my Windows 7. I will figure it out in due time. But for now, I just want to copy and paste the appropriate Outlook files from my Windows 7 to my Windows 10 computer. In Windows 10, I already created a non-email Outlook user profile with the pst...
  6. Data transfer to new laptop

Data transfer to new laptop: Hello, What is the best way to transfer data from an old HP Win 10 laptop to new HP Win 10 laptop? Old laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive ~450GB used, Win 10 Home 64 New laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive + 256GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Home 64 Plus I assume the OS will be loaded on...
  7. Transferring application to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring application to new laptop: Case #: 1487872524 I have purchased a new laptop which I intend to use while traveling. I am trying to transfer an old MS application, "Streets and Trips", which I use for directions. This application is no longer supported, but is still useful for me. I transferred the...
  8. Transfer old laptop to new

Transfer old laptop to new: Can someone please let me know how to transfer as much as possible from my old Windows 10 laptop to a new one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-old-laptop-to-new/5fc63d8d-751c-446a-aad5-5f587e816202
  9. Transfer SSD to new laptop

Transfer SSD to new laptop: My laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing. But it has a good SSD with Windows 10 and lots of data on it which I want to keep. Can I buy a new laptop with no HDD or OS and transfer my existing SSD complete with OS straight into it? Am I allowed to transfer my existing...
  10. new laptop transfer files

new laptop transfer files: I have a new laptop and want to get everything off the old one and onto the new one. I tried to find a USB transfer cored but had no luck and now I am sitting here wasting valuable time when I need to be working. Someone know what I should be doing here?...