Windows 10: Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues

Discus and support Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft I recently purchased a Surface laptop 2 - and am having difficulty transferring my files and setting up my new surface laptop as per my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WilliamPhillips, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues

Hi Microsoft

I recently purchased a Surface laptop 2 - and am having difficulty transferring my files and setting up my new surface laptop as per my previous HP laptop.

I have windows10 on both my new and old laptops.

On my old laptop I saved all my documents and photos to the hard drive and also saved a few files to onedrive so that I could see them on my phone - this was a setup which I was comfortable with and wanted to replicate this on my new surface.

Before my new surface arrived I saved all my files to an external hard drive.

I them attempted to transfer my documents from my old laptop to my new one but each time I copied them over, onedrive fired up on my surface and started automatically saving all my files to the cloud - I wasn't expecting this and so stopped the procedure and removed onedrive altogether from my surface laptop.

With onedrive removed from my surface I again tried transferring my files from my external hard drive.

My files which were previously stored under 'this PC - desktop' have been stored correctly to the desktop on my new surface and the location when I click on the properties of a document displays as C:\Users\xxx\Desktop which I understand.

However if I click on the properties of a document in the documents or pictures folders I notice the location where they have been saved is to one drive :\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Documents\xxx - even though I have removed onedrive from my new surface...

Am I right in thinking that the default settings for the documents and pictures folders under 'this PC' - are now automatically set to onedrive and this can't de changed?

And if so are my files now stored on the hard drive of my surface and onedrive too?

And what will happen if I download the onedrive app on my new surface again - will all my documents which I presume are now on my hard drive even though they have their location showing as onedrive automatically transfer to the cloud?

I guess where I'm trying to get to is to store all my documents etc on my surface hard drive and select what I want to store in one drive.

Your clarification and assistance would be appreciated.

Regards Will

:)

WilliamPhillips, Dec 13, 2018

2. Document Library hijacked by OneDrive after update

This issue may be due to an incorrect location target. To correct this, kindly follow these steps:

• Right click the Documents folder where OneDrive files are showing.
    • Select Properties, and then Location. Yours might look like this:
      C:\Users\Your username\OneDrive\Documents.
    • If this is the case, you will need to create a new folder, select all the OneDrive files in the
      Documents folder, and then change its location to transfer it to the created folder.
    • After emptying the Documents folder, right click it and change the location to:
      C:\Users\Your username\Documents.

Feel free to post back should you need any help with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues

No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

I initially posted about this problem a few days ago to a thread that seemed to be addressing a similar problem, but the OP decided to stop pursuing active solutions so the advice dried up.

I am running Win10 build 10240 and ever since build 10166 I have lost authority to save files to Documents. My workaround was to rely on OneDrive, but now I've lost the ability to access OneDrive. So now I'm saving to Desktop and then manually transferring files to Documents through Windows Explorer. I am concerned that my problem has not yet hit bottom and I really ought to fix it. I'd conduct a clean install of Win10, but Microsoft does not appear to have released an ISO of 10240 for Windows Insider users, making that solution a bit tough at the moment.

The new problem with OneDrive is that any time I try to access OneDrive, it opens up the "Welcome to OneDrive" setup wizard. I then provide my *.live login with strong password, then enter the texted double-authentication code sent to my phone. The wizard then warns me that I already have files in the default OneDrive directory, so I tell it to merge the new with the old. Then, when I try to access OneDrive, I get the following error message:

Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues [​IMG]

...and I'm back to where I started. It opens the setup wizard instead of opening any of the directories within my OneDrive.

Suggestions? Is there a DL-able ISO for 10240 (Home version)?

What I have tried so far:
    Assuming that the problem is a corrupted user profile, I created two alternate profiles and followed Microsoft's directions for Windows 8.1 as far as recovering a corrupted profile. But that process failed because even with the new profiles I was denied permission to access Documents.

Cincinnatux, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues

1. Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues - Similar Threads - Transferring files documents

2. Transferring important files and apps to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring important files and apps to new computer: Does anyone have a procedure for transferring files and apps from a previous upgraded Windows 11 computer to a new one using an external hard drive? I've heard that PC files that are synched to One Drive will not copy over with an automated transfer but don't know that for...
  3. onedrive transfer to new computer and delete files on old computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive transfer to new computer and delete files on old computer: I got a new computer W10 . I use onedrive on my old computer W10. I know that i can access my onedrive files on the new computer by signing in to onedrive on the new computer. How do I permanently delete all the onedrive files on the old computer without losing them in...
  4. File transfer to new computer

File transfer to new computer: How do I transfer files and pictures to Sandisk? I can't get anything to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-to-new-computer/cd3cbbf4-16c3-4d4a-bd99-2780c3ddd5ad
  5. OneDrive Documents Issue On Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Documents Issue On Laptop: Hello HP Omen 15_ce019dx, some reason my Documents folder is saving everything i do on that system to Onedrive? Got a bandwidth Cap with Comcast, so wondering how i can set that to store Locally on the systems secondary storage drive D, and not upload the Entire Documents...
  6. Sync OneDrive files to a new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sync OneDrive files to a new computer: So I bought a new computer. My old one has my files backed up through OneDrive. Everything is syncing to the OneDrive folder on the new machine but I want the files to sync to the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. The settings in OneDrive to choose folders are checked off...
  7. transferring files to new computer

transferring files to new computer: I'm new to transferring things from my old computer to my new one and I'm lost. I spoke with a couple of peopled and they made it sound easy and now I don't know what to do. Here is what I've done until now. I purchased a new desk top and need to transfer my entire lap top...
  8. Transfer which files to new computer?

Transfer which files to new computer?: I know I should copy over the folders Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc., but do I copy these from each /Users/username folder on to an external hard drive, and then go to the new computer and copy each folder and place it under duplicated /User/username structure on the new...
  9. transfer files to new computer

transfer files to new computer: transfer files to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files-to-new-computer/ac27476d-e2c5-49ba-8ba3-cc454adffeac"
  10. Transfer of files and settings to a new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer of files and settings to a new computer: I recently bought a computer that has a defect. I spend time doing the configuration. Now I need to get a new computer. How can I move to a new computer keeping all my data and preferences. For example, I used Photos Microsoft 2018.18071.15310.1000, to recognize my family...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transferring folders from my documents on old desktop to a new desktop

2. new computer tried saving all documents on desktop to usb and they saved as shortcuts

3. transfer from old pc to new with onedrive?

4. i cant transfer files to pc because onedrive is full