Windows 10: Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS?

Discus and support Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My macbook pro is on it's deathbed and it will soon go to that big Apple Store in the sky. My new Dell desktop arrives early next week. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lightwriter, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS?

My macbook pro is on it's deathbed and it will soon go to that big Apple Store in the sky. My new Dell desktop arrives early next week.

This weekend, I am planning to copy some files that need to transfer to an external hard drive. I just don't know which format to use. I know mac can read, but not write to NTFS. So, I can either format the external hard drive in ExFAT, which both windows 10 and the mac can read/write, or I can format the external drive in NTFS and use NTFS for Mac to allow the mac to write to that drive.

Is one method better/safer than the other?

:)

lightwriter, Aug 24, 2016
  2. BenHyer Win User

1 TB Flash Drive Formatting

I have a 1 TB flash drive. It came in the format of exfat. I tried to reformat it to NTFS but my computer says that it cant finish the format. The only problem with the exfat is that when I take it to my mac it cant see the drive at all. My pc can see
    it but none of my macs can. It would be fine if i was only using it for my pc but i bought it to help transfer files between computers. The only two options it gives me to format it to is NTFS and exfat. And it can only complete the exfat format. What should
    I do? Is there a way to format it to Fat32?

BenHyer, Aug 24, 2016
  3. External Hard Drive found but can't access files

Hey there trsarge,

You most probably won't be able to read the content of the drive since Mac computers and PCs use different file systems. Windows usually works with NTFS while Macs use HFS+. There are file systems suc has FAT32 and exFAt that can be read by both but reformatting
    a drive removes the old partition table and the data becomes invisible and you would practically lose it.

I would recommend backing up your data from the drive on a Mac computer, reformat the drive to exFAT, get the data back on the drive, transfer it to your PC, reformat the drive as NTFS and then bring the data back to the drive Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS? :)

Another option would be to process your data over a NAS if you happen to have one.

Captain_WD, Aug 24, 2016
  4. PiKo Win User

Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS?

A 3rd method could be: make a network connection to Pc and Mac and transfer the files to the NTFS drive via the network.

Thema:

Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS?

1. Transferring files from mac to PC: Should I use ExFAT or NTFS? - Similar Threads - Transferring files mac

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10

Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10: This started when I was suckered into buying a couple of obscure brand SSDs at very low prices and very large supposed storage capacities. I spent days of infuriated time before putting the drives on the trash heap and ordering "good" ones. The cheapies 'speed' was 8 times...
  6. TRANSFERRING FILES FROM A PC TO A MAC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TRANSFERRING FILES FROM A PC TO A MAC: I am trying to use the Windows migration tool to transfer my files from my Surface to a Macbook. I am being asked to go to RUN, type cmd, then the extension chkdsk. When I do this access is denied and says a firewall is blocking everything. I turn off windows defender and it...
  7. exFat vs NTFS

exFat vs NTFS: ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs. If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1. Which would be the case if you were using NTFS format on your device. NTFS can handle any sized file intact. I only use Fat32 or exFat format on usb...
  8. File Transfer from Mac to Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Transfer from Mac to Windows: I recently purchased a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac in order to transfer my files from a mac to a windows 10 tablet. When I plugged in the external to the tablet to start transferring, nothing pops up. The light on the external appears for a few seconds then nothing. What can...
  9. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...
  10. NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD: Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings. Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt > Winsat Disk -Drive X (X...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer files from exfat to ntfs