Windows 10: Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Discus and support Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jojo Sweeney, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Hello,

My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one.

I am confused with exactly how to move everything onto my new computer. If I simply copy and paste everything on the old hard drive to my new one, will being on a different version of Windows affect how my files transfer? Will it create duplicates of things like Google Chrome or other apps? Is copy and pasting it the best way to do it?

I am confused at this point and could use some guidance. Thanks for any response.

:)

Jojo Sweeney, Apr 29, 2020
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Yes you'll be able to access your files no problem (from within the OS on the new hard drive). However dont count on it booting from that hard drive. The driver issues will most likely be too much, and it will just blue screen. Theres always a chance it will boot, so try it out, but its going to be a mess uninstalling all the drivers from the previous computer then installing the new ones. It wont be clean, thats for sure. Better to put the old hard drive in the new machine, back up your files to the new hard drive, then reinstall xp on the old hard drive from scratch, if you are able to do that. Ive tried transferring hard drives between computers several times, and most of the time (unless the computers are very similar hardware-wise, i.e. two dells of the same series) they just blue screen. A handful of times though, it has worked, so try it out and see.

As for the external, no it will still have the same effect, as the drivers will kill it (once again, most likely)

Papahyooie, Apr 29, 2020
  4. GlynParry Win User

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

1. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive - Similar Threads - Transferring files old

2. transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive: the C-Drive is the one i have windows installed onmy current pc has 2 hard drives and the pc i am about to get has only one.a bunch of programs have the program installed on the D-Drive while the config/save files are on the C-Drive.because copying everything takes for ever...
  3. Transfer fame files to new hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transfer fame files to new hard drive: Hello, i've recently bought a new pc and i wanted to move the game files from old HDD to a new one so i dont have to download the whole game again, as it takes really long time for me.. so i copied everything from steam and other libraries to a new hard drive, but i cannot...
  4. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  5. How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]Any newly purchased PC lets you zip through different tasks quickly and do other […] This article How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive: Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one, but having a very difficult time. I tried googling my problem and saw others with a similar problem, and apparently there's an...
  7. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine: my mom has an old laptop windows 8, i think(but maybe 7). the battery is no good and the plug for the power cord is broken, so it does not boot. she bought a new one and would like to transfer her settings and files to the new one. my idea is to take the hard drive out of the...
  8. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...: I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". I...
  9. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  10. Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop: My Win 8.1 HP laptop failed to boot after a recent win 8.1 update and I have purchased a new ASUS x556u running Win 10. I have removed my old hard drive [Toshiba HDD2L01 MK7575GSX] placed it in a Dynamode USB3-HD2.5S-BN enclosure and attached it to my new laptop. The Asus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to transfer data from old hard drive to new windows 10 hard drive