Windows 10: Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive

Discus and support Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I transfer files docs, pix, videos from my old laptop Windows xp to my new PC Windows 10 when that old laptop's network drive is busted? I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wundrng, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Wundrng Win User

Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive

How do I transfer files docs, pix, videos from my old laptop Windows xp to my new PC Windows 10 when that old laptop's network drive is busted? I was going to buy and use Dell's migrating tool but it's not available in Canada and of course the network issue poses a problem.

:)

Wundrng, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Valix80 Win User

Cannot transfer files from the laptop to the drives

Original Title: Windows10 & External Hard Drive

Hi,

I've connected my two LaCie external hard drives (rugged and D2 Quadra) to a Windows 10 laptop but they both are not working. They are ExFat and I've tried to reformat them. Windows 10 can see the drives, I can copy and paste files from
    the drives to the laptop. But I cannot transfer files from the laptop to the drives. All the drivers are updated. It looks like my dives are not fully compatible with Windows10? Any suggestions please? Can I have a list of external hard drives compatible with
    Windows 10 please?

Valix80, Jul 5, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Transfer files and pitures from my old laptop computer to a new laptop with out downloading everything onto a flash drive.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Yes, you can transfer data from one computer to another computer without actually copying the files to USB flash drive and then over. Here are the options to transfer files:
    Share files in File Explorer

I would suggest you to use the feature called Map a network drive. All you have to do is map a drive of one computer to another one and you will be able to view/copy/edit the content of that particular computer from another computer on the same
    network or vice versa. You can follow the instructions on how to use Map a network drive provided in article:
    Map a network drive

If you’re not able to view any of the computer’s from the other computer which are connected to same network, then follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: Check if network sharing is on.

1. Now open control panel once again and then go to
      Control Panel.
    2. Then All Control Panel Items.

1. Then Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Then click on Advanced Sharing Settings.
    3. Under Private, Turn on the Discovery and File & Printer sharing.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    1. Then click on Programs and features.
    2. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    3. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
      it again.
    4. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if all the required services are running.

1. Now we will need to check four services.
    2. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.
    3. The names of the services which you will need to check are:
    • Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    • Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.
    4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive

USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive

1. Transferring files from old laptop with busted network drive - Similar Threads - Transferring files old

2. Transfer applications from old system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer applications from old system drive: Situation: A user not me had a power supply fail in a desktop computer. The system drive is still good. Attempted to plug the old system drive into a different computer but the system wouldn't boot. Went into the BIOS and still couldn't get it to boot properly. The system...
  3. Transfer applications from old system drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer applications from old system drive: Situation: A user not me had a power supply fail in a desktop computer. The system drive is still good. Attempted to plug the old system drive into a different computer but the system wouldn't boot. Went into the BIOS and still couldn't get it to boot properly. The system...
  4. Transfer applications from old system drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  6. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  7. Transfer from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer from old to new laptop: Not sure this is the right forum for this but if not please point me in the right direction. I currently have an 8 year old laptop running Win 10 Pro x 64 and MS Office 2013. It is not capable of running Win 11 when it is released.I am considering the purchase of a new laptop...
  8. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive: Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one, but having a very difficult time. I tried googling my problem and saw others with a similar problem, and apparently there's an...
  9. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  10. Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop: My Win 8.1 HP laptop failed to boot after a recent win 8.1 update and I have purchased a new ASUS x556u running Win 10. I have removed my old hard drive [Toshiba HDD2L01 MK7575GSX] placed it in a Dynamode USB3-HD2.5S-BN enclosure and attached it to my new laptop. The Asus...