Windows 10: Transferring files from one computer to another over a network.

Discus and support Transferring files from one computer to another over a network. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've spent days trying to transfer files from one computer to another on my network. I can see the source computer on the destination computer, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SIrwin_62, Jan 10, 2021.

1. SIrwin_62 Win User

Transferring files from one computer to another over a network.

I've spent days trying to transfer files from one computer to another on my network. I can see the source computer on the destination computer, but when I click on it, it asks for "network credentials". What is that?, and how do I find out what it is? I've tried following instructions on how to find them out, but as usual, my computers don't have the same options.

I can't see the destination computer on the source computer even though I have file and printer sharing turned on on both machines.

I've successfully done this before, about a year ago, but only after a week of trying and frustration. Now I can't get it to work at all.

Does anyone have simple instructions to do this, that is compatible with my computers, both running Windows 10 incidentally.

Stuart

:)

SIrwin_62, Jan 10, 2021
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Jan 10, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Just do a file transfer in explorer from one computer to the other and see what speed you get. I would suggest avoiding homegroup and using a proper network setup instead.

newtekie1, Jan 10, 2021
  4. shuggans Win User

Network File Transfer vb.net

Hello all. I'm developing an application that automatically sends files from a machine running the client app to a server running the server app. The files in question are very large files, (500mb - 2GB in size) and I was wondering what is the best way to transfer them qucikly and efficiently over the network. Should I utilize FTP transfer, or should I develop a TCP transfer client/server?

If TCP, can anybody give me a basic run down of the networkstream class used with the tcplistener? Thanks guys.

shuggans, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Transferring files from one computer to another over a network. - Similar Threads - Transferring files computer

2. Data transfer from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data transfer from one computer to another: My husband and I have Lenovo laptops. I need to move his data to my laptop and my data to his laptop. Please help. Thank you Also, I think my computer was updated to windows 11 but when it was purchased, it had windows 10 on it....
  3. Data transfer from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data transfer from one computer to another: My husband and I have Lenovo laptops. I need to move his data to my laptop and my data to his laptop. Please help. Thank you Also, I think my computer was updated to windows 11 but when it was purchased, it had windows 10 on it....
  4. I need to transfer user files from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I need to transfer user files from one computer to another: My elderly friend has an old HP, and bought a new HP computer (Boxed) kit with Win 10 built in. I, as the local computer wizard am tasked with moving her data from the old to the new. (She lives 35 miles of traffic away.) There is a back up drive attached to the old one, but...
  5. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...
  6. Transfering Windows Media Player files from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfering Windows Media Player files from one computer to another: Hello I am trying to transfer my Windows Media Player music from my old windows 7 computer to my new windows 10 computer's Windows Media Player. I am not having much luck, ant help would be appreciated....
  7. Transferring files from one SSD to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files from one SSD to another: Can I transfer regular files such as games, apps, and programs from one SSD to another? Like for an example, your default drive is Drive C. You download a file, app, or a program onto your computer and it installs into Drive D. Is there a way that you can move any kind of...
  8. transfer microsoft from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    transfer microsoft from one computer to another: We just upgraded our computer and would like to transfer the program account to the new one. How do we download microsoft to the new one. Our account does not expire until this spring. Thank you....
  9. how to transfer friles from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to transfer friles from one computer to another: how do you transfer files between computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-friles-from-one-computer-to/14e730d9-e31e-43e7-9f27-480fe4c35435"
  10. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another: I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do it?...