Windows 10: Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have an old sata internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and various files I'd like to recover. I hooked it up to my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Technohero, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC

Hello,

I have an old sata internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and various files I'd like to recover. I hooked it up to my Windows 10 desktop and can view it in "This PC" but when I attempt to access it it suggests I reformat the drive. I don't actually need the drive itself, I am only interested in recovering the files on it.

Is there any way to access the files on the old hard drive without having access to Windows XP or Windows 7 machine?

Would it be possible to access the hard drive on a Windows 7 laptop with some sort of Sata to USB adapter?

I found this topic where one user said it should be as simple as just plugging it in.

Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

Thank you!

:)

Technohero, Mar 10, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Retrieving Documents

Samuel, if the above did not work, your only option is to remove the hard drive and pop it into a working PC (most PC's have a spear SATA slot, if not connect your hard drive to the DVD drive cables temporarily)

Then boot the PC and in Windows File Explorer, you should be able to copy your files from the hard drive . . .

DaveM121, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Windows BOOT PROBLEM

Hi good afternoon!

INFORMATION

1.- Hard drive SATA windows 10 pro (with a new clean windows installation )

2.- Hard drive SSD cloned from SATA

3.- I am using the SSD and i already have a lot of stuff installed programs and files. Which i don't want to loose (I had like a year using this clone)

4.- The SATA still Original as new no programs installed no information working perfectly.Start windows perfectly.

it still have a clean installation windows from which I made the clone to the ssd hard drive

PROBLEM

Now After a year of using this hard drive( SSD)(the cloned one). It doesn't boot no more , it just show the windows logo and the little dots start round and round and never stop.

is that any way to copy from the other hard drive (SATA) some files or folders to the damaged windows hard drive (SSD) to make it RUN or boot.(start windows).

thanks for your help!

Salvador.CHZ, Mar 10, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC

Hi Technohero and welcome to Tenforums.

Yes, you should be able to hook that drive up to any system, using a SATA to USB adapter of some sort, or even plugging it inside your rig, and you should be able to do this in Windows 10. However, if the drive has some sort of damage, Windows will tell you to format it first before using it. So, is it a pretty old disk? Has it been dropped/damaged in some way?

simrick, Mar 10, 2016
  5. Hi Simrick, thank you for the quick reply. It's been roughly 3yrs or so since the hard drive was hooked up to the Windows XP machine it belonged to. The drive was never dropped, but it has been through a couple moves and was stored somewhat carelessly, usually with the metal facing down to prevent scuffing the chip/circuitry.

Technohero, Mar 10, 2016
  6. Those errors indicate that Windows can't read the drive in its present state.

What I recommend is using a data recovery app that can read the drive without relying on the Windows filesystem to be intact. My personal preference is Active@File Recovery Pro. They have a trial version you can download and see what it finds, but you have to go online and buy a license to do any serious data recovery.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Mar 10, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Okay, so we have some possibilities here you can try...basically try one after another to see if we can get something that will work. Sometimes the damage can be from environment, (moisture, temperature, static electricity), or even the drive just goes bad over time (things like the FileSystem/MFT go bad, etc.). So, here are some things to try:

1. If you have a desktop and extra SATA+power cables, hook it up inside your rig. If you're not able to hook it up inside a desktop, use a SATA to USB adapter or hard drive dock to hook it up. Try some recovery programs to see if the data can be recovered:

Recuva
    EaseUS

2. One of our forum members has a tutorial over at our sister site, SevenForums, for reading files using Linux.

3. If it's a matter of file system damage, sometimes a "quick" format puts the disk back into a state which then can be "read" and recovered. Understand that a quick format doesn't overwrite the data on the disk, it just "releases" it as "available" for new data to be written. So, as long as nothing it written over it after the quick format, some recovery programs are then able to retrieve the data.

4. Failing these, you might want to consider Steve Gibson's SpinRite, (assuming this is a "spinner" and not a SSD). It's $89 if you've never purchased it before. This would be an alternative, or a step to try before going to "clean-room" professional recovery services, (example), which charge approximately $1-2,000, depending on the failure mode and amount of data to be recovered.

GRC

Purchase Download

SpinRite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never used it personally, but it does have a good testimonials for data recovery.

Just depends how badly you need your data back. *Wink

Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

simrick, Mar 10, 2016
  8. Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC

Thank you both for the suggestions and all of the info, I appreciate it!

I tried EaseUS and wasn't able to scan the old internal hard drive at all. It told me to "Make sure the hard drive is plugged in" -- which it was. But I was able to use EaseUS on an old external hard drive that at one point had back ups of most of my files I needed from the internal drive. I was able to recover what I needed, at least to some extent, from the external.

Thanks again for the help!

Technohero, Mar 10, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Glad to hear you got it (mostly) sorted! *Thumbs You might want to try formatting that bad drive, using "quick" format only, then see if EaseUS is able to read and recover anything. If you do, please let us know. *Smile

simrick, Mar 10, 2016
  10. Greenguru Win User
    Oh my still running XP talk about a breach

Greenguru, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC

1. Transferring files from Windows XP sata hard drive to Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Transferring files sata

2. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  3. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  4. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  6. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  7. Is it possible to transfer memory from an external SATA hard drive to an internal hard...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to transfer memory from an external SATA hard drive to an internal hard...: Hello,I seek knowledge into finding out if this endeavour of mine can be solved. When I say to transfer memory from my external SATA hard drive to my PC's main internal hard drive, I would like to indicate that my main memory is full, and I have connected my external SATA...
  8. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  9. Sata hard drive failures in Windows 10!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sata hard drive failures in Windows 10!!!: Can we get any answers on a very long unresolved issue in Windows 10 please...? Me too have lost about 5 Sata Ide, different makes, speeds and sizes drives because of Windows 10. No answers seems to be given at all. Start up repair doesn’t work, and the only answer is try a...
  10. Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer: I bought a computer last fall and it ran great after I upgraded it into a gaming computer. The only issue that is starting to arise is that the old hard drive has started skipping and isn't running near as quickly as my other hard drives. I have a brand new barracuda 2tb hard...