Windows 10: Transferring files to external HD

Discus and support Transferring files to external HD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just bought a WD easystore 2tb external hard drive, I also have an old HP slim line s5-1414 PC that is running windows 10. when I transfer a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/-aLittleLate, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Transferring files to external HD

I just bought a WD easystore 2tb external hard drive, I also have an old HP slim line s5-1414 PC that is running windows 10. when I transfer a file from the PC to the external hard drive the file still appears on the PC. I’m trying to save space on the computer. I’m transferring pictures & videos that I don’t need in the computer, to the external har drive. Do I have to manually delete these files from the computer once I transfer them? They only copy when I drag & drop, when i click on the move to option they also only copy. Thank you all for your time.

submitted by /u/-aLittleLate
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/-aLittleLate, Apr 8, 2021

2. External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Apr 8, 2021
  3. File transfer on external HD problem

Hello,

I had a weird problem, not sure if I did something wrong. I was the not so happy owner of an Aspire R3-131T running on Windows 10 after the MacBook I used crashed. I worked on this PC for about a year, before
    moving back to a 2017 MacBook Pro with Sierra 10.12.6. I plugged in a WD Elements 1 To external HD in order to transfer important files from my PC to my Mac (it was faster than through the WiFi). All seemed to work finely until today, as I plugged my extrernal
    HD in my MacBook in order to check the files I saved. It was the first time I did that, and it happened about a month after the transfer. The folder where I put them did not appear on the HD, and after a few minutes, I found it in the trash folder, unfortunately
    empty... Can someone tell me what happened and if I have any chance to get my files back, knowing that I don't have the Acer notebook anymore ?

I know I should have double checked my HD and waited a while before giving my Acer away... But I just want to understand what happened.

I also tried to transfer files through the cloud, using Drive, but the files I moved to Drive where also put into the trash folder. And I'm pretty sure that I didn't do that. Fortunately, I was able to restore them.

Thank you,

Jean-Marie Bolay

jean-mariebolay, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Transferring files to external HD

Transfer files from external harddrive to MS 10

Just set up my new HP with Windows 10. I transferred files from my old PC Windows 7 to an external HD using easy transfer tool. Windows 10 does not have an easy transfer tool, so how do I upload my files, and pictures, etc. from an external HD into Windows
    10?

Thank you.

CarlosGuerra 2715, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Transferring files to external HD

1. Transferring files to external HD - Similar Threads - Transferring files external

2. Onedrive transfer file to personal HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive transfer file to personal HD: why I cannot copy some files from Onedrive to my own HD?! It looks like privacy violation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-transfer-file-to-personal-hd/ff6a9c1d-9616-4500-84b2-793f8160ca8c
  3. Onedrive transfer file to personal HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive transfer file to personal HD: why I cannot copy some files from Onedrive to my own HD?! It looks like privacy violation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-transfer-file-to-personal-hd/ff6a9c1d-9616-4500-84b2-793f8160ca8c
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  5. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  6. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  8. Transferred old HD to external drive to recover files but "this folder is empty" and only...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferred old HD to external drive to recover files but "this folder is empty" and only...: Help! I had the blue screen of death on my old HP desktop Vista, I believe. Replaced with new desktop also HP and transferred the old 1TB drive to an external drive bay in an effort to recover years of data content. Drive is recognized by new PC, but it shows "this folder...
  9. Transferring files to external storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring files to external storage: On my Lenovo ideapad, I cannot figure out how to transfer files or whatever to external storage. I have to free up space for windows 10 update. Never did it before. Technically incompetent...
  10. First BSOD ever on 10, transferring files from laptop hd to external

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    First BSOD ever on 10, transferring files from laptop hd to external: I finally got me a BSOD on my windows 10, on laptop. I was tranferring some music files from my ssd on laptop to an external hard drive in a wifi hdd enclosure. The error is "EXFAT_FILE_SYSTEM (EXFAT.SYS)". The HD (WD10EADS) in the enclosure is formatted in Fat32, and I...