Windows 10: Transferring files to external storage

Discus and support Transferring files to external storage in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my Lenovo ideapad, I cannot figure out how to transfer files or whatever to external storage. I have to free up space for windows 10 update. Never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DonaldShaffer1, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Transferring files to external storage

On my Lenovo ideapad, I cannot figure out how to transfer files or whatever to external storage. I have to free up space for windows 10 update. Never did it before. Technically incompetent

:)

DonaldShaffer1, Oct 5, 2019
  2. Steevo Win User

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, Oct 5, 2019
  3. ERROR 0x80004005 while transfering file to external HDD

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know what exactly does that mean when you say you make changes to the properties.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the file that you are trying to copy has the appropriate permission to move or access it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download the latest driver for the external hard drive from the manufacturer website and check if that helps.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Transferring files to external storage

Error ox80070057: the parameter is incorrect while transferring the files to phone

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, we will try our best to help you.

• What is the make and model of the phone and computer?

• Can you transfer files from other devices to computer?

I would Suggest you the following steps if you are unable to transfer files from any external devices.

Method 1:
    This problem can occur if the decimal symbol is not set to '.' (Dot). This is common in languages and locales other than English (United States).
    a. Press Windows key + X and select Region.
    b. Click the Formats tab, and then click Additional settings.
    c. In the Decimal symbol field, type. (Dot), and then click OK two times.
    d. Restart the computer.

Method 2:

If the issue happens with all external devices then I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB port driver and check.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you

Rajeshwari_Patil, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Transferring files to external storage

1. Transferring files to external storage - Similar Threads - Transferring files external

2. external storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external storage: I have an ebook connected via usb but when I try to back up files to it I can't find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-storage/05d593e9-1751-430f-b8ea-5f508bc15fe2
  3. external storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external storage: I have an ebook connected via usb but when I try to back up files to it I can't find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-storage/05d593e9-1751-430f-b8ea-5f508bc15fe2
  4. external storage

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. External storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External storage: Connected an external storage device but no wav files are being shown for my music media. Drive is being recognised but no files found. Help?***Moved from Gaming and Xbox/Hardware and network/Xbox on Windows***...
  6. Storage transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage transfer: I purchased additional storage for my One Drive but didnt realise I have 2 accounts, can I transfer the storage from one account to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-transfer/2fc7c1bf-7a0f-409f-a73c-ae7e381b1b0a
  7. Storage transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage transfer: I purchased additional storage for my One Drive but didnt realise I have 2 accounts, can I transfer the storage from one account to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-transfer/2fc7c1bf-7a0f-409f-a73c-ae7e381b1b0a
  8. Storage transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Transferring files to external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files to external HD: I just bought a WD easystore 2tb external hard drive, I also have an old HP slim line s5-1414 PC that is running windows 10. when I transfer a file from the PC to the external hard drive the file still appears on the PC. I’m trying to save space on the computer. I’m...
  10. Transfer of files from external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer of files from external harddrive: I have a Fantom 1TB external hard-drive connected to my PC which is running Win10 with everything updated to the latest specs. Equipment is in good working order and all cables have been checked. I have tried turning everything off and restarting. I have done everything...