Windows 10: Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

Discus and support Transferring hard drive to new computer setup in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to boot, bluescreening over and over again, and I was forced to use a fresh installation.

Does Windows still do that? I've heard that it kinds of binds itself to your current hardware config, and if you change too many things, it won't boot. What I'm going to do is just image my current SSD and apply that image to the new SSD in the new computer. Will that work?

submitted by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Dec 15, 2020

2. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Yes you'll be able to access your files no problem (from within the OS on the new hard drive). However dont count on it booting from that hard drive. The driver issues will most likely be too much, and it will just blue screen. Theres always a chance it will boot, so try it out, but its going to be a mess uninstalling all the drivers from the previous computer then installing the new ones. It wont be clean, thats for sure. Better to put the old hard drive in the new machine, back up your files to the new hard drive, then reinstall xp on the old hard drive from scratch, if you are able to do that. Ive tried transferring hard drives between computers several times, and most of the time (unless the computers are very similar hardware-wise, i.e. two dells of the same series) they just blue screen. A handful of times though, it has worked, so try it out and see.

As for the external, no it will still have the same effect, as the drivers will kill it (once again, most likely)

Papahyooie, Dec 15, 2020
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 15, 2020
  4. xarzu Win User

Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

1. Transferring hard drive to new computer setup - Similar Threads - Transferring hard drive

2. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  3. Transfer fame files to new hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transfer fame files to new hard drive: Hello, i've recently bought a new pc and i wanted to move the game files from old HDD to a new one so i dont have to download the whole game again, as it takes really long time for me.. so i copied everything from steam and other libraries to a new hard drive, but i cannot...
  4. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  5. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...: I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". I...
  6. Transfer old hard disk to new computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer old hard disk to new computer?: Hello, I would like to transfer my HDD with Windows and all games to my new PC (different CPU, different board and RAM), because the game installations take hours with my internet. Can I take over this without problems or do the drivers overlap? Alte Festplatte in neuen...
  7. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  8. Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer: Recently purchased a new computer, moved my old 4 TB hard drive from my Windows 7 PC over to the new Win10 computer. New computer reads the first 2 TB partition on the hard drive fine, but the other 2 TB partition is missing on my This PC page and when I check the drive in...
  9. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  10. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...