Windows 10: Transferring hdd to new pc

Discus and support Transferring hdd to new pc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop (let's call it laptop 1). It has a 1 Tb standard hdd. I also have an older laptop (laptop 2) with a 1 Tb SSD and W10. I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Curious, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Curious Win User

Transferring hdd to new pc

I bought a new laptop (let's call it laptop 1). It has a 1 Tb standard hdd. I also have an older laptop (laptop 2) with a 1 Tb SSD and W10.

I want to move the SSD from laptop 2 to the new one and am considering several options that I would like advice about.

1. Just replace the hdd on the new laptop 1 with the SSD from laptop 2. They both have W 10. I suspect that won't work because of the different hardware would require different drivers.
    a) Am I right? Or will Windows 10 automatically install the correct drivers for the new hardware?
    b) Am I better off starting fresh?

2. I have image backups of the existing older W10 pc but thought to take this opportunity to reinstall all my programs in the fresh w10 installation. Is that a good idea? Worth the extra effort?

3. I'd like to transfer at least my Windows and installed programs "settings" from the older w10 pc. to the new one. I read that "Windows Easy Transfer" used to do this but is no longer available for W 10. Is there a free alternative for W 10? Another way to do this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

:)

Curious, Nov 28, 2018
  2. Curious Win User

I bought a new laptop (let's call it laptop 1). It has a 1 Tb standard hdd. I also have an older laptop (laptop 2) with a 1 Tb SSD and W10.

I want to move the SSD from laptop 2 to the new one and am considering several options that I would like advice about.

1. Just replace the hdd on the new laptop 1 with the SSD from laptop 2. They both have W 10. I suspect that won't work because of the different hardware would require different drivers.
    a) Am I right? Or will Windows 10 automatically install the correct drivers for the new hardware?
    b) Am I better off starting fresh?

2. I have image backups of the existing older W10 pc but thought to take this opportunity to reinstall all my programs in the fresh w10 installation. Is that a good idea? Worth the extra effort?

3. I'd like to transfer at least my Windows and installed programs "settings" from the older w10 pc. to the new one. I read that "Windows Easy Transfer" used to do this but is no longer available for W 10. Is there a free alternative for W 10? Another way to do this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Curious, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Transferring hdd to new pc - Similar Threads - Transferring hdd

2. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  3. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  4. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to transfer OS from HDD to SSD...?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer OS from HDD to SSD...?: I'm having a dell laptop with HDD....I'm planning of upgrading it to SSD..If i change HDD to SSD, then,How can I transfer/install the OS in SSD officially....?...
  6. How to transfer OS from HDD to SSD...?

How to transfer OS from HDD to SSD...?: I'm having a dell laptop with HDD....I'm planning of upgrading it to SSD..If i change HDD to SSD, then,How can I transfer/install the OS in SSD officially....?...
  7. How to transfer OS from HDD to SSD...?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. HDD transfer made my computer screen go black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD transfer made my computer screen go black: I’m trying to transfer data from an old Mac book HDD. All was going perfectly fine until it wasn’t. My computer began to slow down a lot and I figured it would be better to file transfer in smaller chucks. I tried to cancel the operation but everything stopped working. I...
  9. HDD transfer made my computer screen go black

HDD transfer made my computer screen go black: I’m trying to transfer data from an old Mac book HDD. All was going perfectly fine until it wasn’t. My computer began to slow down a lot and I figured it would be better to file transfer in smaller chucks. I tried to cancel the operation but everything stopped working. I...
  10. Need Help Booting from Cloned Windows 11 HDD and File Transfer Query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help Booting from Cloned Windows 11 HDD and File Transfer Query: I'm currently facing an issue that has me stumped and in need of some guidance regarding a Windows OS cloning and booting problem.Here's the situation: I used Macrium Reflect to clone my Windows 11 operating system from my internal SSD onto an external HDD. My intention was...