Windows 10: transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

Discus and support transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a laptop with windows 10 in a 1 TB HDD. I just bought a 240GB SSD for the OS and important/frequent programs. The question... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geninchuni, Dec 3, 2019.

1. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

Hello everyone. I have a laptop with windows 10 in a 1 TB HDD.

I just bought a 240GB SSD for the OS and important/frequent programs. The question is, how do I transfer (only) my OS to the new drive without my programs losing the "links/references" to where the files are located.

I was thinking as well in reinstalling windows as new and installing the programs again, I think this will make my pc even faster than just transferring my "old" OS. But where do I download Windows from and how do I keep my license? The license I got is from migrating from 8.1 to 10, and my 8.1 license came already installed when I bought my laptop so I don't have any physical code.

Thanks in advance guys transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive :)

submitted by /u/geninchuni
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geninchuni, Dec 3, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Dec 3, 2019
  4. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

1. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive - Similar Threads - transferring installing smaller

2. installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting: Hi, I'm currently planning to install only windows into a 64GB SSD that I find lying around for my HHD laptop just to speed up the booting process it takes ages to boot up, I notice that Windows does have its installation tool to reinstall the Windows, but I wish to just only...
  3. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  4. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  5. Moving W10 to a smaller drive

Moving W10 to a smaller drive: I just purchased a Refurbished Dell from a MS Authorized Refurbisher via Amazon. It arrived with W10 on a 2t 3.5" HDD. I intend to install 2 additional 2t "Data Drives" in a raid 1 Mirrored config.To make room I want to clone the current 2T boot drive to a 500 gig 2.5" HDD....
  6. Windows 10 transfer from drive to drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 transfer from drive to drive?: I'm about to buy a new PC from a system builder which will come with Windows 10 pre-installed on an M2 drive. so "OEM"?? I'm aware than M2/SSD drives have endurance issues am am concerned what will happen to my use of windows 10 if the drive failed after, say, 5 years. Would...
  7. Transferring OS to a smaller SSD

Transferring OS to a smaller SSD: I want to move my OS and only my OS to my new SSD which is a 250gb Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2. My main drive is a 1tb HDD and I want to be able to move that drive between laptop and PC without taking the laptops OS with it....
  8. Cannot clone drive to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot clone drive to smaller drive: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Installed on 10/14/2020 OS build 19041.572 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I have used Minitool Partition Wizard for several clone jobs. Never had a problem up to now. The thing different is now I am cloning a...
  9. Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer

Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer: I bought a computer last fall and it ran great after I upgraded it into a gaming computer. The only issue that is starting to arise is that the old hard drive has started skipping and isn't running near as quickly as my other hard drives. I have a brand new barracuda 2tb hard...
  10. Transferring Windows 10 to new drive

Transferring Windows 10 to new drive: I have a Toshiba S855 S5254 laptop that originally came with preinstalled Windows (8 I think) that I upgraded to Windows 10 home when the upgrade was still free. I am thinking of replacing its hdd with a 1 tb ssd. Will Microsoft allow me to move the Windows 10 OS to the new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfering windows to a smaller drive