Windows 10: transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

Discus and support transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a laptop with windows 10 in a 1 TB HDD. I just bought a 240GB SSD for the OS and important/frequent programs. The question... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geninchuni, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

Hello everyone. I have a laptop with windows 10 in a 1 TB HDD.

I just bought a 240GB SSD for the OS and important/frequent programs. The question is, how do I transfer (only) my OS to the new drive without my programs losing the "links/references" to where the files are located.

I was thinking as well in reinstalling windows as new and installing the programs again, I think this will make my pc even faster than just transferring my "old" OS. But where do I download Windows from and how do I keep my license? The license I got is from migrating from 8.1 to 10, and my 8.1 license came already installed when I bought my laptop so I don't have any physical code.

Thanks in advance guys transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive :)

submitted by /u/geninchuni
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geninchuni, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM
  3. Delta6326 Win User
  4. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM
Thema:

transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

1. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive - Similar Threads - transferring installing smaller

2. transferring drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring drive: I built a new computer and will be installing a full version of Win 10 to a m.2 nvme drive. The old machine had OEM Win10. Can I move the old drive as a second drive in the new machine, or will I lose all the data and games on it?...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 to newer SSD drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 to newer SSD drive: I would like to replace my HHD drive with an SSD drive. How will I transfer Windows 10 to the new drive? Do I have to reactivate Windows 10 again? My Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7....
  4. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  5. transferring photos to a flash drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring photos to a flash drive with Windows 10: Windows 10 may be ok in many respects, transferring photos to a flash drive is not. Nevertheless, after an hour or so of trial and error, and receiving incorrect information from the help center, I did discover a method that will enable the transfer to be made using this...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive: Hello! I have only 2 gb free space on my system drive, so I have a question. Is there a way to transfer working windows 10 system to another hard drive without reinstalling it?...
  7. Transfer Windows 10 to SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer Windows 10 to SSD hard drive: Can anyone tell me how to transfer Windows 10 From my standard hard drive to a new SSD hard drive. Thank you Joe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/transfer-windows-10-to-ssd-hard-drive/1185c915-abfb-4f58-b907-4418a1643ba8
  8. Transferring Windows 10 to new drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows 10 to new drive: I have a Toshiba S855 S5254 laptop that originally came with preinstalled Windows (8 I think) that I upgraded to Windows 10 home when the upgrade was still free. I am thinking of replacing its hdd with a 1 tb ssd. Will Microsoft allow me to move the Windows 10 OS to the new...
  9. W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive: My Windows 10 Acer V5 laptop has a ~430GB drive (excluding the system and W10 recovery partition), and I am creating a Macrium mirror copy and saving on a borrowed external drive temporarily. My plan is to subdivide the drive with Minitool as 150 system partition 150 for...
  10. Hard drive shows much smaller than is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive shows much smaller than is: You're quite welcome. Glad we can help. However, I suggest to use the smaller drive for Windows, 200 GB is enough (186 GB shown). You can transfer Windows back to it then use 1TB drive strictly for data. Easier to manage and backup. If you need help on this, let me know.