Windows 10: Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring...

Discus and support Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I am only posting a question here as I have seen some conflicting information regarding whether I can transfer my Windows 10 Pro license after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidGilder, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring...

Hi, I am only posting a question here as I have seen some conflicting information regarding whether I can transfer my Windows 10 Pro license after serious hardware failure that prevents booting.

So I had/have a full retail Windows 7 Pro version I still have the box/product key which was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free. I have not changed the computer since then. Some posts I have seen suggest that even the full retail versions could not be transferred while other posts suggested that it can be transferred once.

I can see the details of the broken PC in my Microsoft account but I am unsure it this means that the digital license is associated with my account or not.

Going forward what I would like to do is:

1. Pay a PC parts store to build a custom PC to replace my broken computer

2. Have them install Windows 10 Pro for me using my license details unsure if this is possible

Can you please advise if my plan above is viable. I would rather not pay for a new Windows 10 license if I can continue using the one I already own.

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere. I have tried to find answer that are not contradictory but have not had much luck.

:)

DavidGilder, Apr 4, 2021
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 4, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to transfer my OEM windows licence to new hardware?

Hi Blago1985, sorry, OEM licences are not transferable to a new PC, that licence is tied to the original PC on which it was installed. It is only retail licences that can be transferred to another PC . . .

DaveM121, Apr 4, 2021
  4. r.h.p Win User

Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring...

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring...

1. Transferring my Windows 10 licence to a new PC after a critical hardware failure requiring... - Similar Threads - Transferring licence critical

2. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  3. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  4. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to transfer my Windows OS licence to my new PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to transfer my Windows OS licence to my new PC.: My old Asus laptop which i bought more than 2 years ago came with preinstalled Windows 10 home licence and i upgraded it to 10 Pro though a license key which i got as gift which is now updated to Windows 11 pro. Recently i purchased a Lenovo laptop which doesn't have pre...
  6. Unable to transfer my Windows OS licence to my new PC.

Unable to transfer my Windows OS licence to my new PC.: My old Asus laptop which i bought more than 2 years ago came with preinstalled Windows 10 home licence and i upgraded it to 10 Pro though a license key which i got as gift which is now updated to Windows 11 pro. Recently i purchased a Lenovo laptop which doesn't have pre...
  7. Transferring hardware - windows licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring hardware - windows licence: Hello,I've recently set up a PC for a colleague where the windows licence is a digital licence for Windows that came with the PC presumably embedded onto the PC The box itself has developed a fault which means it keeps losing connection to wifi via a USB dongle - I've set up...
  8. Transferring hardware - windows licence

Transferring hardware - windows licence: Hello,I've recently set up a PC for a colleague where the windows licence is a digital licence for Windows that came with the PC presumably embedded onto the PC The box itself has developed a fault which means it keeps losing connection to wifi via a USB dongle - I've set up...
  9. Transferring hardware - windows licence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Transferring a Windows 10 Digital Licence PC to a new owner?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring a Windows 10 Digital Licence PC to a new owner?: My sister has a Windows 10 PC she is giving to my nephew and we are trying to figure out how to get the licence in his name? I need to do a full reinstall but with the licence tied to my sisters account how would I do it? It was a Windows 7 till she did the free upgrade. I...