Windows 10: Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license

Discus and support Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Years ago, I purchased a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded to the Pro edition using the Activation settings Settings > Update & Security >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AnswerMyQuestionThanks, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license

Years ago, I purchased a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded to the Pro edition using the Activation settings Settings > Update & Security > Activation

I did not have a license/product key before upgrading. I was sent to the store, paid for the license and then the upgrade process worked

Now I got a new laptop also with Win 10 Home, and want to sell the old laptop. I plan to reset the old laptop before selling it so that the new owner can configure it as they please. Once I sell the old computer, I do not want to be associated in any way, shape or form with the new owner, obviously

How can I transfer my W10 Pro license from the old laptop to the new one?

What license is the old laptop going to end up having?

:)

AnswerMyQuestionThanks, Jan 18, 2021

2. How do I transfer a Windows 10 Pro license from one computer to another?

The preinstalled Windows 10 Pro license on the Surface Pro 3 is not transferable. It is an OEM license.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license

Windows 10 Pro digital license transfer

Hi Chg,

There isn't an exact clarity on this by Microsoft but I believe the Pro upgrade inherits the type of license from the base*, which is OEM. However, Microsoft once also stated that in OEMs there are exceptions and a license transfer may be possible.

The following approach is what I suggest.

• First of all, add the older device having Windows 10 Pro in your Microsoft account again.
    • On the new device, use the following generic key to upgrade to Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    • You would see Windows unactivated. Run the activation troubleshooter and select I recently changed hardware.
    • Select the older device and see if it activates.
    Remember: If my assumption * is true, you may be left in an unactivated OS. In that case, you might need a factory reset or call Microsoft to get a pass.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Sumit- Windows Insider MVP, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license

1. Transferring my Windows 10 Pro license - Similar Threads - Transferring Pro license

2. Transferring My Windows 10 Pro License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring My Windows 10 Pro License: Hello,How may I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro license on this old PC, and transfer it over to my new PC build? I want to run Windows 11 on the new build with a legit license. On this old PC, it says Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft...
  3. Transferring My Windows 10 Pro License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring My Windows 10 Pro License: Hello,How may I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro license on this old PC, and transfer it over to my new PC build? I want to run Windows 11 on the new build with a legit license. On this old PC, it says Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft...
  4. Transferring My Windows 10 Pro License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer of Windows 10 Pro license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer of Windows 10 Pro license: Good Day, I spent the last few hours dealing with the abysmal MS customer support but seens to be a waste of time. I bought a laptop in July which had Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through the MS online store. The old computer had...
  6. Windows 10 Pro License Transfer

Windows 10 Pro License Transfer: Hi everyone. I noticed after upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 Pro that Windows activates itself without needing the activation key again after a clean re-installation of Windows, which raises a question regarding the license key in my mind: The key I purchased is a retail...
  7. Windows 10 PRO license transfer

Windows 10 PRO license transfer: I have a WIndows 10 PRO license on my Surface Pro 4. The Surface Pro 4 suffered a broken screen and I bought a Surface Pro 6 Came with Windpows 10 Home. I cannot use the old system. Can I xfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the Surface Pro 6 system? I am now running Windows...
  8. Transferring Windows 10 Pro license

Transferring Windows 10 Pro license: I just wanted to ask a quick question. I'm planning on building a new computer with better hardware. My current pc has windows 10 pro and in the settings menu under activation it says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". This leads...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 Pro License

Transferring Windows 10 Pro License: If my old laptop had Windows 10 Pro and has finally crashed for good, how do I go about getting the Windows 10 pro on my new laptop? I purchased it a while back and I see it within my order history on Microsoft but I am not too sure on how to activate it on my new laptop. Is...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Transfer license

Windows 10 Pro Transfer license: I have HP 15-ay068ne laptop Windows 10 Home 64bit on it and I just purchased a Windows 10 Pro OEM system builder DVD from Jumia Egypt for upgrade my laptop operating system to Pro,if something happened to this laptop can i transfer that windows 10 pro license to a another pc...