Windows 10: Transferring OS between two SSDs

Discus and support Transferring OS between two SSDs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BenRowe, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BenRowe Win User

Transferring OS between two SSDs

Hello all

I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes.

I used a 30Gb SSD for the OS and a couple of apps to help serve the house and my business data, and then have 4x6Tb HHDs in RAID to store data (so a total of 18Tb storage).

With the increasing size of the windows install and other apps the 30Gb SSD just isnt cutting it any more. I have bought a 240Gb as a replacement but want to avoid the hassle of a completely fresh install and having to reconfigure all of my network connections and things.

I know there are various clone apps available but would prefer something supporter bu microsoft in case it goes wrong so I can get proper support. Do any of you have any ideas?

:)

BenRowe, Nov 9, 2018
  2. xpac5896 Win User

Transfer OS from 512 to 1tb SSD

I'm in the process of building a new rig. I would like to transfer the OS from my current 512 SSD to a 1tb SSD. My Os is already linked to my MS account and I printed out the steps about using the troubleshooter after a significant hardware change. The Question is: Can I clone the 512 to the 1tb or does it require a clean install? OS is Win 10 Pro.

xpac5896, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Transfer my OS to SSD?

Hello Juliana,

I’m sorry to say but Microsoft doesn’t provide the option to transfer only OS from HDD to SSD. However I can recommend the workaround. Please do a clean install on SSD. After that SSD will get the active partition. It will also help you to recover your computer
    if it crashes in the future.

Before you start doing a clean installation make sure you have backups of all the important information you have on the PC. After the clean install you will be able to restore your information on the HDD.

Please, follow the steps to do a clean install:

Prepare a USB/DVD. Refer to the support article provided by PaulSey. You can also watch a video on this page

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

After that please refer to the steps provided by PaulSey in his article on How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide to install the Windows 10 on your SSD.

Post me back, if you need further assistance.

Marcel Kuri, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Transferring OS between two SSDs

Transfer my OS to SSD?

I have an old 1tb HHD so I decided to transfer OS and a browser to a new SSD drive. But I cannot do it without making partition. Now I have only **** C without any partitions and can transfer all information from this ****. How can I make a partition
    and place only my OS there so that I would be able to transfer only my OS?

JulianaTallone, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Transferring OS between two SSDs

1. Transferring OS between two SSDs - Similar Threads - Transferring between SSDs

2. Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives: I had Sea of Thieves on drive D, a HDD, and wanted to move it to C, a SSD via the program manager option.Midtransfer, I have accidentaly closed the program manager, and now I am stuck in this state: C has already allocated all the space needed for the game, but program...
  3. Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives: I had Sea of Thieves on drive D, a HDD, and wanted to move it to C, a SSD via the program manager option.Midtransfer, I have accidentaly closed the program manager, and now I am stuck in this state: C has already allocated all the space needed for the game, but program...
  4. Transfer progress between two xbox accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer progress between two xbox accounts: Hello,So a couple of months ago I decided to get Game Pass for PC. So I opened an xbox account with my existing Microsoft profile outlook adress. When opening my first game after subscribing, a message appeared saying that I need to create an account to play... Okay, done,...
  5. Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs: [ATTACH] I was copying files from my NVMe SSD to the SATA SSD and the speed dropped by like 75% to 70-80MB/s. Both drives are fairly new so I'm not sure what might be the cause. I checked and see that the Shadow Copy service is set to Manual, so I don't think that's the...
  6. Cant transfer folders between two computers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant transfer folders between two computers?: Hello, Does anyone have experience transfer data between two computers ? I connected rj45 between them didnt work connected them both to a router doesnt work Sometimes i can see each computer name but when i click on it , it says network credentials but neither computer...
  7. Transferring two licences between three computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring two licences between three computers: I have two windows 10 licences, one used on computer that doesn't work anymore and another on lap top in use. I'm buying a new computer and I would like to move licence I have on lap top, as it's pro version, to new computer and put licence from not working computer to lap...
  8. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...
  9. Transferring files between two windows 10 installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring files between two windows 10 installations: So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the case here too? 30908
  10. Slow transfer speed between two builds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transferring between ssds