Windows 10: Transferring OS between two SSDs

Discus and support Transferring OS between two SSDs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BenRowe, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BenRowe Win User

Transferring OS between two SSDs

Hello all

I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes.

I used a 30Gb SSD for the OS and a couple of apps to help serve the house and my business data, and then have 4x6Tb HHDs in RAID to store data (so a total of 18Tb storage).

With the increasing size of the windows install and other apps the 30Gb SSD just isnt cutting it any more. I have bought a 240Gb as a replacement but want to avoid the hassle of a completely fresh install and having to reconfigure all of my network connections and things.

I know there are various clone apps available but would prefer something supporter bu microsoft in case it goes wrong so I can get proper support. Do any of you have any ideas?

:)

BenRowe, Nov 9, 2018
  2. xpac5896 Win User

Transfer OS from 512 to 1tb SSD

I'm in the process of building a new rig. I would like to transfer the OS from my current 512 SSD to a 1tb SSD. My Os is already linked to my MS account and I printed out the steps about using the troubleshooter after a significant hardware change. The Question is: Can I clone the 512 to the 1tb or does it require a clean install? OS is Win 10 Pro.

xpac5896, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Marcel Kuri Win User
    Transfer my OS to SSD?

Hello Juliana,

I’m sorry to say but Microsoft doesn’t provide the option to transfer only OS from HDD to SSD. However I can recommend the workaround. Please do a clean install on SSD. After that SSD will get the active partition. It will also help you to recover your computer
    if it crashes in the future.

Before you start doing a clean installation make sure you have backups of all the important information you have on the PC. After the clean install you will be able to restore your information on the HDD.

Please, follow the steps to do a clean install:

Prepare a USB/DVD. Refer to the support article provided by PaulSey. You can also watch a video on this page

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

After that please refer to the steps provided by PaulSey in his article on How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide to install the Windows 10 on your SSD.

Post me back, if you need further assistance.

Marcel Kuri, Nov 9, 2018
  4. JulianaTallone Win User

Transfer my OS to SSD?

I have an old 1tb HHD so I decided to transfer OS and a browser to a new SSD drive. But I cannot do it without making partition. Now I have only **** C without any partitions and can transfer all information from this ****. How can I make a partition
    and place only my OS there so that I would be able to transfer only my OS?

JulianaTallone, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Transferring OS between two SSDs - Similar Threads - Transferring between SSDs

2. Windows 10 transfer OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 transfer OS: I want to use an ssd as my boot drive for my laptop because my current hdd is way too slow, however I am not sure how should I transfer the OS from hdd to ssd. I have thought of multiple way but I can't decide. I have 32 gb flash drive FAT32 file system, if that is any...
  3. App Transfer Between Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App Transfer Between Accounts: I redeemed an app code for a game for my windows 10 PC a year ago but I accidently did it on this (my father's) account instead of on mine while the account that is usually logged on the PC is my account. is there a way I can transfer it between the accounts so it will be on...
  4. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...
  5. Transferring files between two windows 10 installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring files between two windows 10 installations: So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the case here too? 30908
  6. How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?: I have two laptops and one has no working screen and I need to connect them together so I can download a lot of files to my new laptop. I do have a cross-over ethernet cable and am running windows 10 on both laptops. 69633
  7. Slow transfer speed between two builds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...
  8. Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?: I just received a new Win 10 PC with a 500 Gb SSD for my primary drive (OS and programs) and an internal 1Tb conventional HDD for my data (library). I would like to transfer my programs and files from my existing Win 10 PC to my new PC. My existing PC has two conventional...
  9. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

in Windows 10 Support
    So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...: I am transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer to my new Windows 10 computer, but I am kind of new at this whole transferring thing. I have some questions: What cable do I need? What software do I use to do the transfer? Do both computers have to be on at the same...
  10. Quickly boot between OS's

in Windows 10 Support
    Quickly boot between OS's: Friends, If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a shortcut in Windows 8.1 to take me to Windows 10 and a shortcut on Windows 10 to take me to Windows 8.1. Here is what you need to...