Windows 10: Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

Discus and support Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; To put it simply, the computer I built many years ago no longer functions. When I put that computer together I purchased a retail license of windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ikemay, May 4, 2020.

1. ikemay Win User

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

To put it simply, the computer I built many years ago no longer functions. When I put that computer together I purchased a retail license of windows 10. I'm in the process of getting parts to put together a new rig and was curious as to how I would be able to transfer my windows license over. The SSD that I installed windows on still functions, but the motherboard does not. How would I go about transferring the license over to a new SSD and motherboard when the time comes?

:)

ikemay, May 4, 2020

2. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer.

Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer.

Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key

Many thanks

Charlie #&

Charlie#&, May 4, 2020
  3. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Hi Abder63

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

If you had Activated and linked your license to your Microsoft Account and its a retail license, you might be able to transfer it to the new computer without the product key.

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-window...

Here are steps to reactivate the license on the new computer without the product key.

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer [​IMG]

Andre for Directly, May 4, 2020
  4. Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

How to transfer windows 10 license to a new computer?

If its the free upgrade originated from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 preinstalled license, it is still not transferrable, even though it says its retail in the command line using slmgr.vbs /dlv command.

Only licenses upgraded from a retail Windows 8 or Windows 7 or full Windows 10 license.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

1. Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer - Similar Threads - Transferring Retail License

2. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc: I built a PC back in 2020, which I had purchased a Windows 10 pro key for, and had to leave it behind when I transferred duty stations mid-deployment. My colleagues were supposed to send it to me once the deployment ended, but they never did. I finally got to build another...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key or old pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

[RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  6. Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  7. Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer: Hello. I own a retail license of Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 some many years ago. I recently changed hardware motherboard, GPU, processor so it was a significant change. I actually forgot to deactivate the old license I am still using the same HD so that means I can't...
  8. Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer

Transfer Windows 10 License without access to old computer: Hi. I was using a laptop with a digital Windows 10 Pro license that I had purchased. The laptop suddenly stopped working and I'm unable to boot it up anymore. I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I wanted to know if there is a way to transfer the Pro...
  9. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer without access to old product key: I had to get a new computer since my laptop is unusable, my hard drives still functioned except for the small ssd that had my OS. The drive had to be wiped and reformatted. Is there anyway to get the activation key of windows 10 I had but on this computer? I am heading to...